Got Milk Got Gas Got Oil Got the Wrong Container

inspectorcritic

Local time
1:57 AM
I discovered something that might be giving a lot of us newbies a problem. The containers if not DOT approved might be having a chemical reaction.
I mix some 2 stroke gas in a clean plastic milk jug bike ran a little loud and rough held onto the 1/4 gallon put it in 2 hrs latter. The bike putter and died withen 200 yards. I went through the system checking connections spark so forth no help, then I drain the carb, gas look white, bike fired, I went another 200 yards bike putter and died again.
I check CDI , connections, plug no help then I drain the the carb bottom screw again, the bike fired ran 200 yards died again this time took it to a gas station tip the bike over empty tank and carb filled it straight from the hose threw in 2 ounces oil bike took off no more problems.
So some plastics have a chemical reaction with 2 stroke gas had killed one motor mixing it in a pesticide jug a China narrowed the list and pointed that out as the cause of death.
There maybe other reaction symptoms to other companies containers.
IMG_20190908_180638.jpg

Last edited:
Never use milk jugs with gas. Many plastics melt when it contacts gas (or most other hydrocarbons). If I need a container to carry spare gas in short order, I use plastic soda bottles. Those use the same plastic as gas cans.
Protip: To avoid potential bursts from over-pressurization, don't fill the bottle all the way and squeeze the remaining air out till the gas is to the lip, then seal it. That will leave tons of room for evaporating gas to expand.

For short term transportation, I've found that whatever plastic Gatorade bottles are made out of will handle gasoline without any issues or degradation but unfortunately, most plastics will react with or be damaged by gasoline.

For short term transportation, I've found that whatever plastic Gatorade bottles are made out ya shortof will handle gasoline without any issues or degradation but unfortunately, most plastics will react with or be damaged by gasoline.
Ya short term a minute or two mine was almost fine 2 hours later it was a bike killer poison.

Back