Greetings! I returned from the (not quite) dead.

COGHandyman

Local time
3:12 AM
I found this forum and went to sign up for it. When it told me my username was already taken I looked and realized I signed up a few years ago.

I've always been into minimalist and sustainable living. I love bicycles and motorbikes.

My motored Schwinn three-wheeler project has been revived. I'm going to use 79cc lifan type motor I have on it.

I'm building it for a friend who won't be able to drive cars. He may be somewhat autistic. I hope he will be able to be safe on a motor bicycle.

Ideally I want to build a small cover over it, like the covered motor scooters you might have seen.

I'm doing this the simplest, easiest, most reliable way, since he is not at all mechanically inclined.

I'm going to attempt a belt drive on the left wheel with the engine mounted low, behind the axle. I will surround the back of the bike with a bumper and there will be a body above it in the place where the basket normally mounts.

I'm trying to only have a single drive reduction, perhaps a one and a half inch pulley on a centrifugal clutch up to a 20-in bike rim that I can attach to the spokes as a drive sheave.

I plan to build a semi enclosed body on it, which will extend out over the wheels. So ultimately won't need separate rear fenders.

I'm studying how to make a simple gear reduction primary reducer, if I need it. I have little money and little time also.

He will be using it on a relatively flat coastal terrain and he weighs approximately 200 lb. The wheels are 26 inch I think.

I thought it was a Meridian but it has a different name on the chain guard. It's brand new and I think it has aluminum frame.

Just wanted to say hi and share this little project.

I found this forum and went to sign up for it. When it told me my username was already taken I looked and realized I signed up a few years ago.

I've always been into minimalist and sustainable living. I love bicycles and motorbikes.

My motored Schwinn three-wheeler project has been revived. I'm going to use 79cc lifan type motor I have on it.

I'm building it for a friend who won't be able to drive cars. He may be somewhat autistic. I hope he will be able to be safe on a motor bicycle.

Ideally I want to build a small cover over it, like the covered motor scooters you might have seen.

I'm doing this the simplest, easiest, most reliable way, since he is not at all mechanically inclined.

I'm going to attempt a belt drive on the left wheel with the engine mounted low, behind the axle. I will surround the back of the bike with a bumper and there will be a body above it in the place where the basket normally mounts.

I'm trying to only have a single drive reduction, perhaps a one and a half inch pulley on a centrifugal clutch up to a 20-in bike rim that I can attach to the spokes as a drive sheave.

I plan to build a semi enclosed body on it, which will extend out over the wheels. So ultimately won't need separate rear fenders.

I'm studying how to make a simple gear reduction primary reducer, if I need it. I have little money and little time also.

He will be using it on a relatively flat coastal terrain and he weighs approximately 200 lb. The wheels are 26 inch I think.

I thought it was a Meridian but it has a different name on the chain guard. It's brand new and I think it has aluminum frame.

Just wanted to say hi and share this little project.
Welcome, my advice before investing time and money look up your local legal statutes. The laws vary from location to location. If you don't know your local statute numbers then you don't know your local laws. My state Tennessee statute number is 55-8-101(35).

If you put a cover/roof/passenger(s) enclosement on the build, it then becomes an auto-cycle. Can your friend at least pass the written part of a driver's test? It's imperative he knows how to safely navigate traffic.

I'm not trying to be the spoiler here, just realistic. It's my hope your local government will allow a safe, self made build on its public roadways. As well as your friend having the skills to safely navigate traffic.

My opinion, best thing you can do for your friend when bike is finished is to add a 6ft sturdy flag to the bike to be seen. Seen lower bikes using the crosswalks when light turns green and they can't be seen if hidden by big p/u's or suv's.

Welcome, my advice before investing time and money look up your local legal statutes. The laws vary from location to location. If you don't know your local statute numbers then you don't know your local laws. My state Tennessee statute number is 55-8-101(35).

If you put a cover/roof/passenger(s) enclosement on the build, it then becomes an auto-cycle. Can your friend at least pass the written part of a driver's test? It's imperative he knows how to safely navigate traffic.

I'm not trying to be the spoiler here, just realistic. It's my hope your local government will allow a safe, self made build on its public roadways. As well as your friend having the skills to safely navigate traffic.
Those are all good points. I addressed some of those in my original write-up, but then deleted them, because it was just getting too deep.

I don't know our statute number but I do need to look it up. I know the specs for a moped. In SCarolina we have pretty lenient laws, like no safety inspection on passenger motor vehicles. I have heard of a auto cycle that I kind of doubt they are specified in our laws.

We just started registering mopeds a couple years ago requiring helmets for riders under 18, and a moped license if the rider has no other license.

I also know that guy likes to be legal. He did have his beginners driving permit where he could drive with a license driver beside him. Pretty sure he could pass a written test again.

But actually that 79cc engine size is a bit too big for a moped. I do have a couple smaller four-stroke motors plus a two-stroke bike engine I could use.

I wanted him to have a three-wheeler because I know he has some vertigo issues and balance problems. I just haven't found a three-wheeled moped cheap enough I could afford it so I grabbed the bike and an engine a few years ago but haven't done anything with it.

A 79cc 4 stroke isn't much bigger that a 49cc 4 stroke; so you can often sneak the 79 pass in an inspection. Only driving one rear wheel will make it prone to flipping. Since you'll be moving faster install a rear 2 wheel drive with a differential axle.

A 79cc 4 stroke isn't much bigger that a 49cc 4 stroke; so you can often sneak the 79 pass in an inspection. Only driving one rear wheel will make it prone to flipping. Since you'll be moving faster install a rear 2 wheel drive with a differential axle.
Good idea of course. As this is a lower budget temporary solution, I'm just going to keep the engine small govern the speed down. It's my first try.

Back