Happy Time Tank With Fuel Return Line

5-7HEAVEN

I'm running a GP460 engine on my MB. A 1.5 liter goped tank with fuel and fuel-return lines connect to the Walbro carb. The engine was rotated 180 degress and mounted upside-down. Now the flat crankcase faces upward, affording me room to install a 4-liter Happy Time fuel tank. With the proper fitting, the fuel line will connect carb to tank.

HOWEVER, what do I do with the carb's fuel-return line? I'm trying not to drill a hole in the Happy Time tank. I do have an 18-ounce aluminum fuel bottle in the bottle cage holder. Should I drill its top to accept the fuel-return hose? Will a vent hole also be needed?

Would anyone know how long it would take the fuel returning from the Walbro carb to fill an 18-ounce bottle? Long enough to empty the 135-ounce Happy Time fuel tank?

I've fooled around a bit with walbros's and zama carbs.
To the best of my knowledge the only time fuel is flowing through
the return line is when you pump the primer bulb to fill the carbs chamber
when cold starting the engine.
Therefore you might just be able to use some sort of a "catch cup"
when starting the engine and dump it back into the tank once it's running.

Another option is a tube drilled and inserted into the fuel cap similar to what a dirt bike has.
Just a thought but I.m pretty sure about that return line.
TIM

Thanks, TIM. That helps a lot. I'll go drill the cap to the $5.95 fuel bottle to accept the fuel-return line.:bowdown:

I've never seen the fuel-return setup for a dirt bike. Using the fuel bottle would be much cleaner. I'll post pics when I have it done.

On Second Thought...

My friend Rick dropped by with his GP460 MB yesterday. He has a 1.5 liter Happy Time tank feeding his Walbro carb. Rick plugged his fuel-return line, did not feed it back to the HT tank. No serious side effects so far. :geek:

I'll do what Rick did first, TIM. If that doesn't work, I'll set up the fuel-return system.

Just put a "T fitting" in the fuel line and run the return back into the fuel line, hence back into the tank.

Back