Has anyone tried

gruemungus

Local time
10:19 PM
I've been noticing quite a few of the autoshift type bikes on the local CL priced under $50, has anyone tried these with the jackshaft setup?

I haven't heard of anybody motorizing an autoshift bike but it sounds interesting. I guess if it doesn't work out, you could replace the automatic derailleur with a manual one.

They claim, regardless of rpm it will select the right gear for the job. I have never rode one so i really don't know how they actually perform.

I know it's been discussed, probably buried in the archive now.

I had a passing curiosity a couple of years back. Further search, not in the MB world but in cycling circles, lead me to opinions they were pretty much junk as far as components and build quality.
Then I actually looked at one off craigslist one day near me and they were right. It was junk and the whole auto shift thing was really hokey. IIRC it was an AutoBike, one with the centrifugal weights on the spokes. Thing is the best MBs end up being the simplest, cruisers and hardtail mtbs.

I think there is at least one other make out there, landrider or something. I don't think any of them are going to turn the world upside down but what the hey, if they are cheap enough and you think they'll hold up.

The transfer from one gear to the next wouldn't be good. An engine would chew that right up, being on one sproket half way and the other half way. The chain would probably get wedged or slip. It would be like petaling hard while shifting gears, but without being able to control when the gears shift. It just sounds like a bad idea to me. Or maybe that's not what you're talking about...

I would imagine it would be okay to have like a normal HT engine with the sprocket that bolts on to the spokes. I don't see why it would make a difference motor wize unless you were pealing, too.

-Brian

Brian, I've already built the bike and been riding it for two years. It works great. I'm currently running a 34-11, 8 speed freewheel in the rear and a 34 t Surly stainless steal chainring on a Staton shift kit. I use a Sram 890 chain. None of the things you suggest about grinding and wearing out gears or chain sticking has occurred in two years. Will be posting more pictures soon. Just was wondering if others are trying to build automatic bikes like I already have.

Last edited:
LR Jerry,
THAT is awsome experience. Thanks for sharing it ! I bought a craig's list autobike for (yep) $ 50 on a whim. I believe they come in various states of "goodness". Mine was bottom end. But, after I cleaned it up and adjusted it,
well, it performed as advertised. Very cool mechanism. I too would have been doubtful of the system holding up to a motor.
But you did it. Good work, post some pictures !
I'm excited because I know how well the mechanism really functions.
By the way, I sold it for $70 after I played with it and shared it with the local bike club ( to a person, everyone wanted to take it for a spin ! )
Good times.

Bob K

Back