Helicoil Question

as I've mentioned before, if the metal around the failed threads has taken much hammering or twisting or bending during the time the threads were failing, then it may be too fatigued to be repairable

inspection for this would be to look to see if surface has a grainy or dusty look to it
Well the inspection passed. I was only riding my bike for about a month prior to this issue so the motor is still in great shape, thx.

Ok just to be sure, is this helicoil the right size?

Attachments

• 5773C1DA-AEA9-453A-B9C0-20546F849044.jpeg
    5773C1DA-AEA9-453A-B9C0-20546F849044.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 101
  • 46B9F2EC-D4B8-4AD0-9BFC-CFDC71CB19D1.jpeg
    46B9F2EC-D4B8-4AD0-9BFC-CFDC71CB19D1.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 130
If you have coarse threads then yes that's exactly it. Easiest determination would probably be to hold the bolt up to the package, if the threads on the coil appear to be spaced the same then it's right, if your bolt looks like finer (more threads per inch) then it won't do you much good.

Carl you need to take one of your studs to your local hardware or automotive parts store and have them check your thread pitch. We can't tell you yes or no without the stud in our hand. And the bit size should be etched on the side of the tap. If not make sure to ask about that too while your at the store.:)

If you have coarse threads then yes that's exactly it. Easiest determination would probably be to hold the bolt up to the package, if the threads on the coil appear to be spaced the same then it's right, if your bolt looks like finer (more threads per inch) then it won't do you much good.
The coils spread lengthwise a little when they are installed, so this won't work, but it looks like the OP already bought them anyway so probably a moot point.
M8 coarse (1.25mm pitch) is aka normal, standard; but m8 fine (1mm pitch) is comparatively unusual so I don't expect there'll be any problem with this. :)

That's great. As long as it's the correct pitch, but it probably is.
I hope it came with more than three coils..?
The insertion tool looks good. The cheap one I bought didn't last, got chewed up. I barely got it to snap the tail off the last of the four coils, and the damn tool doesn't want to come out unless it snaps the tail off the coil!
If it didn't come with a drill bit then I guess the instructions in that kit recommends a standard size bit?

The coils spread lengthwise a little when they are installed, so this won't work, but it looks like the OP already bought them anyway so probably a moot point.
M8 coarse (1.25mm pitch) is aka normal, standard; but m8 fine (1mm pitch) is comparatively unusual so I don't expect there'll be any problem with this. :)
Really? Hadn't noticed that. Interesting I'll look at them closer lol..

OK so then the tap should be compared to, and I did have an engine with fine threads, had to search all around till I found Lowe's had the right flange nuts (to replace the dorky cheap acorn ones.)

Last edited:
Really? Hadn't noticed that. Interesting I'll look at them closer lol..

OK so then the tap should be compared to, and I did have an engine with fine threads, had to search all around till I found Lowe's had the right flange nuts (to replace the dorky cheap acorn ones.
Yes you're right the tap has the same pitch even though it is obviously a larger diameter. :)

I think Carl mentioned he has a Grubee Skyhawk, bought recently, so he should have the normal pitch and decent grade of steel too. Now he just needs to torque the nuts carefully, and make sure it's the nut that's turning when he does this, and not the stud. :)

Back