Chains Help! Chain hits fender & tire

jroyse

Local time
4:25 PM
I'm installing a Skyhawk engine on an old style Schwinn bike.The drive chain is into the fender and just touching the tire. I have cut away nearly half of the fender and even welded spacers onto the coaster brake arm so I can move the sprocket out board !/4 inch. Not enough. I have seen many other bikes on Craiglist on the same type bike. Tried to email them but nobody answers. This is a fat tired full fender Schwinn. Can anybody help?
Jim

Attachments

• 100_2773.jpg
    100_2773.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 774
:unsure::geek:from what i see the big gear [COGG]is on backwards in denture towards spokes is the way it should be:poop::giggle::rolleyes:

The in-dent is toward the spokes. It just looks different in the picture. That is the teeth on the sprocket are facing away from the spokes. I can't imagine I'm the only nut who ever ran into this problem. Also can't believe others have went to the extent of welding up spacers to get things to work. Me, I'll cut, weld hack anything to make things work. But I don't know where to turn on this one.

Okay how do u got the rag joint rings you can play around on way to install them like both on the inside or 1 out and 1 in...I got faith you will figure it out plus turn the sprocket around and try it. I had trouble with my sky hawk so the installation manual is not always right.Try installing different way you will get.I had to turn the sprocket chrome shiny side out on mine. Hope this helps..

Last edited:
I have tried flipping the sprocket ... then put it back, then welded spacer blocks onto the coaster brake arm to space it out so I could space the sprocket out. IT STILL RUBS. I have also cut away the fender...still rubs. I was thinking of an offset motor mount to move the engine to the left but the clutch housing won't allow movement that way.
Come on guys bail me out! I know others have built these. What am I missing?

I was thinking to get another rag joint and put it like this:sprocket then 2 rag joints through spokes rag joint and then metal brackets.I'm not sure tho.You can search it on google and YouTube that might help too.

With a tire that narrow you shouldn't have a problem. I'm thinking the rear triangle(seat-stays and chain-stays) are bent.

chain rubbing on tire

After numerous attempts to move the chain outboard including welding spacers to the coaster brake arm so it to can move out and then adding spacers to the sprocket the chain still rubs. Plan B: move the engine out using custom built mounts. This just has to work. What else is there?

Back