Hex bolts or TORX button head on a disc brake rotor?

francisjohn

Local time
3:16 AM
Assuming that clearance isn't an issue. Is there a reason why a torx button head (which has become the standard in disc rotor) would be better than a hex bolt?

I have both M5 Torx and hex bolts. People say they use torx because it's less likely to strip than a socket cap button head which establishes the reason for using a torx. However, there is no reasoning on using a torx instead of a hex bolt. Stripping the head on a torx screw is possible, as to where stripping the head on a hex bolt seems impossible.

Looking at it from a hardware perspective, would the head on a hex bolt "bite less" than a torx screw? Would you still want to use a flat washer under the hex bolt? or maybe just a lock washer? as opposed to just a torx screw with nothing under it?

This is a link to the torx button heads the cool 'kids use these days

Thoughts?

Attachments

• hardware.png
    hardware.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Imo they are just prettier than a hex head. I prefer those bolts over hex heads on some things, but not others. When I buckle down and start buying parts to build an ms660 engine one of the major things I'm going to order is high grade Allen headed bolts just to keep it looking clean

Assuming that clearance isn't an issue. Is there a reason why a torx button head (which has become the standard in disc rotor) would be better than a hex bolt?

I have both M5 Torx and hex bolts. People say they use torx because it's less likely to strip than a socket cap button head which establishes the reason for using a torx. However, there is no reasoning on using a torx instead of a hex bolt. Stripping the head on a torx screw is possible, as to where stripping the head on a hex bolt seems impossible.

Looking at it from a hardware perspective, would the head on a hex bolt "bite less" than a torx screw? Would you still want to use a flat washer under the hex bolt? or maybe just a lock washer? as opposed to just a torx screw with nothing under it?

This is a link to the torx button heads the cool 'kids use these days

Thoughts?
Let the "kids" use the torx because they are "cool"...I have stripped out torx heads, but have never been able to strip out allen head, hex heads...Just my opinion and 2 cents worth, for what it's worth...lol.

If ya like the look of the Button head Torx bolt, Allen head bolts also come in button head

It honestly doesn't matter what hardware you use. The only thing that matters about hardware is the quality. Poor quality hardware, no matter the head shape, will strip easy

Back