Hi, a dreaded newbie here

Jroeby

Local time
3:15 AM
Hi yes I'm a noobie, in this field, I'm looking to build a motorized bike nothing fancy but one I'll be happy with. (don't roll your eyes yet) I'm sure the questions I have have been asked on this forum before ..

So what's the best motor to get?
LOL, just kidding. . I've started many serious hobbies and instead of even buying one thing I've found to ask experanced guys that's been through it all just might save me time and expense... I drive all day at work so I truly am intrested to use my motorized bike as primary transportation and a subject of intrest. I'm mechanical and general fabricator of sorts meaning I'm not a complete dummie.

I'm 5'11" 177lbs (if that matters) I'm not looking for speed but more reliability so the little I have been exposed to I'm thinking a 4 stroke motor to put on an average bike I might find on Craigslist, i.e. hybrid or simalar or a popular motor that's easy to get advise on .. I don't know one four stroke motor from another brand names Japanese American, i don't know, that's why I'm here maybe some advice of motors to stay away from or even if you think I'd be better off with a two stroke motor for reasons unknown to me.
It's always hard to get use to a new forum so link suggestions for someone starting out would be great the more the merrier otherwise I'll be milling around the Forum between work and home and sleep.
Please feel free to give me any suggestions and yes prices a consideration but durability trump's.

I'm sure I'll be thrown questions for reasons that I don't know what more info to supply you with . . I'm happy to be here.

Last edited:
Buy a Grubee Skyhawk kit and a $50 Craigslist bike. Your cheapest, quickest and most reliable way in.
$250 and a Saturday afternoon and you are riding. If you outgrow it, you can sell it for that much.
56517-7e03643b2e1be7d626199e25db9efef0.jpg

Simple. The kit is complete, just follow the instructions and do regular bicycle maintenance and you are good.
You don't need a heavier frame, you don't need any modifications, just build it.
I bought the above motor used. I have $80 invested in the above bike.
I take it on 50-100kms long rides all the time.

You will learn a lot from this experience, can move off in whatever direction you want to go.

There is a saying: "Ya don't know what ya don't know".
So true entering a new field. Gotta get your feet wet and look around to even know where you wanna be.
The typical newbee wants his motorized bike to be a cheap motorcycle. 50mph and no pedaling.
By building and riding a generic bike and motor you will figure out what you want.

I'm teaching a 20yr old guy to ride a motorcycle so he can get his street licence.
He tells me he is getting a 600cc bike. "Too big" I tell him. "I'll grow into it" he tells me.
I'm get him to do emergency stops and evasive maneuvers on my 100cc training bike. He is fighting the weight.
A couple times too much throttle catches him off guard. He now knows what he didn't know.
A 250cc will be plenty big as a starter bike.

Buy a Grubee Skyhawk kit and a $50 Craigslist bike. Your cheapest, quickest and most reliable way in.
$250 and a Saturday afternoon and you are riding. If you outgrow it, you can sell it for that much.

Simple. The kit is complete, just follow the instructions and do regular bicycle maintenance and you are good.
You don't need a heavier frame, you don't need any modifications, just build it.
I . . "

Thanks bro,

Im going to head that direction actually was just watching no nonsense youtube video tutorial using a seahawk engine I'm on!

In my acomplished fields of intrest that's the kind of advice I would give . .

Last edited:
Thanks bro,
Im going to head that direction actually was just watching no nonsense youtube video tutorial using a seahawk engine I'm on!

In my acomplished fields of intrest that's the kind of advice I would give . .

Id go with a patriot engine instead of a seahawk engine.

without a budget or knowing what the legal requirements in your state are I'm gonna suggest a bone stock predator 212 on a felt bixby. even with a single speed direct drive it'll happily pull you to 35 miles per hour without ever needing to touch the pedals, and keeping it stock means keeping it reliable. just change what needs to be changed for packaging reasons, like the fuel tank, air cleaner, and exhaust.

without a budget or knowing what the legal requirements in your state are I'm gonna suggest a bone stock predator 212 on a felt bixby. . ."

Yes butre, I kinda want to go that way and I think I would like a 4 stroker, I think because the sound. Flying rc airplanes some of the guys run those 4 stroke Saitos a good and solid and have closer the sound to real aircraft.

I seemed like predator 212 would take up leg space or does it just look that way ?
I was looking at some videos they seem to be and sound soild, I'm curious how that could mount on single tube frame but I feel would be happy with combo that you suggested. when I was milling around the forums for 4 strokes and saw that Predator was sold by Harbor Freight kind of scared me off but now I going to check further

Last edited:
I have a customer with a 212. Took serious welding work to gusset frame to handle it. Goes somewhere near 60mph. Not a friendly bike.

Yes butre, I kinda want to go that way and I think I would like a 4 stroker, I think because the sound. Flying rc airplanes some of the guys run those 4 stroke Saitos a good and solid and have closer the sound to real aircraft.

I seemed like predator 212 would take up leg space or does it just look that way ?
I was looking at some videos they seem to be and sound soild, I'm curious how that could mount on single tube frame but I feel would be happy with combo that you suggested. when I was milling around the forums for 4 strokes and saw that Predator was sold by Harbor Freight kind of scared me off but now I going to check further

Look at a Predator 79cc then.

79cc-kalua-motorized-bike-2.jpg

Back