Host for board track replica

INTP_ty

Local time
1:45 PM

Hi, I've been spending these past few weeks learning how to use the MIG welder in my fathers shop. I love the drop loop styled frame & boy my 700x40c tires are making my seat hurt. It's time for a new bike! I looked at the Sportsman Flyers & while they're cool -I'd rather make my own (at probably the same cost, lmao).

The bicycle listed is my favorite on YouTube. I think finding plans & making one from complete scratch will be too much for me. I'd rather find a host, drop the top, then make my loop. I take wisdom when I can get it so what/where's the best bike for this? And how are you guys keeping these square when you stretch them? Archimedes kept rolling around on me when I dropped my seat tube/rear drop outs.

Hi, I've been spending these past few weeks learning how to use the MIG welder in my fathers shop. I love the drop loop styled frame & boy my 700x40c tires are making my seat hurt. It's time for a new bike! I looked at the Sportsman Flyers & while they're cool -I'd rather make my own (at probably the same cost, lmao).

The bicycle listed is my favorite on YouTube. I think finding plans & making one from complete scratch will be too much for me. I'd rather find a host, drop the top, then make my loop. I take wisdom when I can get it so what/where's the best bike for this? And how are you guys keeping these square when you stretch them? Archimedes kept rolling around on me when I dropped my seat tube/rear drop outs.

Bolt the (true) wheel sans tire into the dropouts, keep the wheel locked parallel to the frame (horses or 2x4 and screws works well) and find some straight lines to put tube in. If there are none, make them (bend them, but don't leave the wheel in there for that. I've used 2 axles bolted into the dropouts as well but it's much more difficult to get an absolute square to the frame centerline without that giant reference guide aka: the wheel. Before I forget a piece of angle iron locked into the double axle is a useful guide for square, you MUST bolt it perpendicular to the double axle for it to be useful, just use a any fitting tool that can let you set that up square. You can clamp and run a straight edge along that iron to check it against the frame. )

Welding blankets protect the merchandise, just get a few tacs in and pull out, put straight axles in with nuts backing to hold your OLD and finish it like that.

Last edited:
Back