How Do I Break A 415 Chain???

yuckfoo

Local time
1:23 AM
I've ground down the rivets to nothing and they still won't come apart. I have a chain breaker but the 415 doesn't fit in it. Why is everything reportedly simple yet in reality it's a F#@$ing nightmare?

Last edited:
I have taken links apart on a couple of chains with a cheap ryobi grinder, just keep grinding till its flat and you see the outline if the pin, it's not like your going to harm anything, don't be afraid just giver

grinder.jpg
Cheap decent grinders cost around 40~50 $$
nut.jpg
Make sure the nut is just a little bigger than the pin, but not bigger than the chain.

punch.jpg
Use a nail punch that you don't care too much about

place the chain over the nut and if you put the pin in the right spot on top of the nut then give it a good hit with a decent hammer (not dollar store) or a baby sledge hammer (not dollar store either).
Once you get the pin starting to come out either dubble up on the nut underneath the chain or use some pliers or vice grips to pull it out the rest of the way.

I was going to buy a chain breaker a couple of years ago but the ryobi grinder have been used hundreds of times where as if I bought the chain breaker I would of used it about 4 or 5 and good chain breakers are not cheap.

Last edited:
I have taken links apart on a couple of chains with a cheap ryobi grinder, just keep drinding till its flat and you see the outline if the pin, it's not like your going to harm anything, don't be afraid just giver

View attachment 104870
View attachment 104871

View attachment 104872

place the chain over the nut and if you put the pin in the right spot on top of the nut then give it a good hit with a decent hammer (not dollar store) or a baby sledge hammer (not dollar store either).
Once you get the pin starting to come out either dubble up on the nut underneith the chain or use some pliers or vice grips to pull it out the rest of the way.

I was going to buy a chain breaker a couple of years ago but the ryobi grinder have been used hundreds of times where as if I bought the chain breaker I would of used it about 4 or 5 and good chain breakers are not cheap.
I've ground it down to nothing. Hammering does nothing.

18$ for the one i just posted and it does multiple # chains and it has lasted me a few years now
Thanks. I was able to easily break a normal chain. Sickbikeparts told me that I needed a 415 H chain since I have a fat bike. I doubted them then but paid the extra cash for it. The 415 chain barely fits around the engine drive sprocket. I put a feeler gauge in there and there is about 0.13 mm clearance between the chain and the case.

Yeah I actually watched that video. I'm either going to buy a chain breaker that will work with a 415 chain or I'm just going to use the standard chain I have which I was able to break with next to no effort.

Ppersonally, I don't even use a punch, I just grind one side of the outer link almost completely (like 1/4mm of material left) then bend the link till it spits, and then install the master link.

Back