Crashes How safe is your ride, when parked?

SimpleSimon

Local time
8:02 AM
Seems a silly question, doesn't it?

It isn't. I was in the hospital 11 days, and I really wondered if my trike would still be here when I got home. It was, totally untouched - I have some GREAT neighbors who looked after my place while I was gone.

So today I rode it down to the Comcast office to pay my cable internet bill. Locked it in the bike rack, went inside. I was at the tellers window paying the bill when a guy came in and asked, "Hey, who owns that bike out there?"

I looked over my shoulder and said it was mine, and he said, "Well, somebody just backed over it with a big pickup and roared out of the lot!" Talk about a sinking feeling - I went out, and found the right rear wheel taco'd over the axle mount, the trike conversion rear axle mount bent and the engine frame shoved into the engine hard enough to break off both motor mounts, the exhaust header, and most of the cooling fins on one side of the jug.

Right now it looks like a write off. The guy who saw it happen said the tailgate on the pickup was down and he couldn't get a license plate number. All he knew was it was a late 80's chevy 4 x 4, mostly black. I called the cops, he stayed and gave the cops a statement, then I sat there just looking at it while I waited for a friend with a pickup to come get me and the wreck.

Just got home a few minutes ago. I'm back to square one on my MB experience - no ride. Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point - medical bills are such that buying another engine is not an option, and as twisted as that frame now is I doubt I can straighten it well enough to ever be ridable.

So, I guess the lesson is - be careful where you park.

This news just sent chills down my spine.
I am sooo sorry to hear it! I agree with Turtle Tedd. Riding is medicine for the soul.

Not a good thing to happen...put the medical bills on hold..get another motor and the parts for another bike..life is short

i'm tempted, believe me. Unfortunately, I am now going to a wound care clinic three times a week. While the clinic charges are covered by insurance, mostly, I have a $25/visit co-pay that has to be paid up front before I ever get past the waiting room.

I cannot twist my foot around far enough to see the abscess, I cannot feel my feet, and my fingertips have lost so much sensation that I cannot even really explore it with my fingers, not too mention not being able to do an adequate job of treating and bandaging the wound. So, it'll be a while at least.

occurrences like this are the downside of not having to register/insure a MB (or, not being ABLE to register and insure...) ... if that had been a fully insured car or motorcycle, you would have been able to collect on a hit and run

An abscess in your foot!?!? YIKES!This definitely changes my outlook on the situation too!
Take care of yourself, having no foot is worse than no MB.

Back