hybrid e bike idea

bike4life

Local time
12:22 AM
take an inverter generator 2000w wish does about 120v - 15 amps....

Then run through a full bridge rectifier of 200v and 40 amps you can buy for like 20 dollars on ebay. Add heat sink though which is free from scrap yard.... P loss = voltage drop of diode x amps drawn, which can be like upwards of 50-60 watts of heat.....

Then run in parrell to rectifier through a 100,000 uf capacitor of rating 100v to smooth out waveform......

Capacitor Size in 1000s of uf = amps x 8.3 (period of sinewave at 60hz in miliseconds) / acceptable voltage drop.
Example 20 amps x 8.3 / 1.5 voltage drop tolerance = around 100,000 uf capacitor for the rectifier....

Then connect leads from rectifier / capacitor to ebike controller....
Now you have 120v - 15 amps DC to run your ebike on......
Problems with this design???
If 120v is too high, you can have a microwave transformer at the beginning to converter the voltage down....

The thing here is that for around 50-70 dollars in parts, you can have a AC to DC converter that can handle 2000watts or whatever you want. And the generator you might already have or need to buy, and then you would have an ebike with unlimited range.... Need a 5,000watt ebike with unlimited power/range. No problem. You "battery" just went from a 500 watt lithium ion to 30kwh / gallon of gasoline energy.
Plus the cops cant yelll at you like with gas bikes..... And you can have an arbitrary top speed or range. Just size up the components or generator instead of worrying about battery range......Like you know you want to do 50mph for 100 miles on your ebike, looks like you would need 10kwh in lithium batteries or you can just go with the hybrid idea. Its dumb to have the gas generator charge the batteries. As no charger cannot charge them faster than you deplete them. When charging my ebike it charges 100watts/ hour, but you are depleting at like 1000 watts/ hr when riding. Instead have an ebike with no batteries, just the rectified power as shown above....

The bridge rectifier below says 1600v, 100 amps. That might be a lie, because thats 160kw, but i am sure it will be able to handle the 2000 watts, at 100 volts 20 amps.....

Attachments

• 1587567292177.png
    1587567292177.png
    333.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 1587567330665.png
    1587567330665.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, you have tailgate power too. Most ebike riders have a multitude of reasons to ride an electric bike and one of them is not burning fuel.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, you have tailgate power too. Most ebike riders have a multitude of reasons to ride an electric bike and one of them is not burning fuel.
I got ya. If i were to build it, I would probably use not the HF tailgator which only does 700 watts, but a 2000 watt inverter used somewhere online as they r xpensive.

That is my bike kinda. I still need to unwinterize it; the gas generator part at least. The problem is that the battery is near dead. Im not mad; I have like 4-5k miles on that $200-300 battery. But when the battery was good; with the generator I was making long runs not possible with just that battery.

One thing to note is the generator is a loud even though it is a 4-stroke. It is also big so you need a big frame bike or make your own frame. I took it out of the case to fit in frame; ideally you just keep it in its designed frame to minimize vibrations and noise. Then maybe add some sound dampening around it. But, I like the build a lot. I think it is a good gap measure between full electric high range and gas bikes.

That being said, I do believe repurposing lightly used EV batteries is the way to go. With like 4kwH, that is like 90 miles at 30mph, which is more than enough range for any gas biker and where you can recharge at a hotel/motel overnight and be on your way.

how many kwh is your batteries. what volts and amps of the pack.....
top speed? thx[/QUOTE]
Is that your YT channel? Why are you raising shrimp? lol :D

Last edited:
how many kwh is your batteries. what volts and amps of the pack.....
top speed? thx
Is that your YT channel? Why are you raising shrimp? lol :D
[/QUOTE]
~1 kwH, 72V 16aH but probably like 50% at this point. ya, that is my yt but havent had a chance to update it recently. dood, shrimp are gold. one shrimp can be $10 each. gonna cash out i have 300+ shrimp at this point. :ROFLMAO:

Back