I just got a ticket

I met with pretrial prosecutor today and he didnt know what the law was and said he would check with the state and get back with me in a week or two. I also took my camera with me again and the prosecutor didnt wanna see any pics of my bicycle because he has seen me on it many times already. I'll keep ya posted when I find out if they are gonna prosecute me.

I have read the law

If you do not have a drivers license the bike is considered a moped. you were supposed to apply for one , similar to a jet ski license for 15 year olds.
If you are 16 + the bike is still a moped but you are semi legal. You still need lights and turn signals.
That is the law , but not necessarily the way it is interpreted.
Most police departments either consider it an assisted mobility vehicle or a bicycle.
I have called 4 departments and the secretary of state. Not one of them knew the law. Each one had their own version ,but the sec of state was very close.
It is a moped...

Looky what I found.... http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zdo3luny5tnls045hmiqyovw))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-chap257.pdf

257.40 “Person” defined.
Sec. 40. “Person” means every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation and their
legal successors.
Are you a person??

Remember... you cannot define a word with itself. This is a recursive definition, which, to a lawyer, reads: "“Person” means every natural (natural (natural (natural (undefined), firm, copartnership, association, or corporation and their legal successors), firm, copartnership, association, or corporation and their legal successors), firm, copartnership, association, or corporation and their legal successors), firm, copartnership, association, or corporation and their legal successors.

Are you really a person??

257.32b “Moped” defined.
Sec. 32b. “Moped” means a 2- or 3-wheeled vehicle which is equipped with a motor that does not exceed
50 cubic centimeters piston displacement, produces 2.0 brake horsepower or less, and cannot propel the
vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface. The power drive system shall not require
the operator to shift gears.

History: Add. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977;¾Am. 1983, Act 91, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1983.

257.33 “Motor vehicle” defined.
Sec. 33. “Motor vehicle” means every vehicle that is self-propelled, but for purposes of chapter 4 of this
act motor vehicle does not include industrial equipment such as a forklift, a front-end loader, or other
construction equipment that is not subject to registration under this act. Motor vehicle does not include an
electric patrol vehicle being operated in compliance with the electric patrol vehicle act. Motor vehicle does
not include an electric personal assistive mobility device.

So... a motor vehicle does NOT mean every vehicle that is self-propelled.... because a moped is NOT a motor vehicle.

257.1362 Definitions.
Sec. 2. As used in this act:
(d) “Motor vehicle” means a self-propelled device by which a person or property may be transported upon
a public highway. Motor vehicle does not include a tractor, motorcycle, moped, trailer, semitrailer, bus, power
shovel, road machinery, agricultural machinery, or other machinery or vehicle not designed primarily for
highway transportation, but which may incidentally transport persons or property on a public highway. Motor
vehicle also does not include a device that moves upon or is guided by a track.

257.801e Moped; application for registration; form; signature; fee; issuance and contents of
certificate of registration; insurance; size, legibility, and inspection of certificate; issuance
and display of decal; rules; certificate of registration for use in testing or demonstrating
moped; duration of registration.
Sec. 801e. (1) When a moped required to be registered under this act is sold by a retailer to a general
purchaser
, the certificate of registration shall be obtained in the name of the purchaser by the retailer. In other
cases, the certificate of registration shall be obtained by the purchaser. The application shall be signed by the
purchaser of the moped and shall be accompanied by a fee of $15.00. Upon receipt of the application in
approved form, the secretary of state shall enter the application upon the secretary of state's records and issue
to the applicant a certificate of registration containing the decal for the moped, the name and address of the
owner, and other information the secretary of state considers necessary. A moped shall not be required to be
insured in the manner specified for motor vehicles under chapter 31 of Act No. 218 of the Public Acts of
1956, as amended, being sections 500.3101 to 500.3179 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
The certificate of
registration shall be pocket size, shall accompany the vehicle, shall be legible, and shall be made available for
inspection upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
See?? No commerce? No registration necessary.

Last edited:
Back