I was stopped for speeding on a moped

getomaan

Local time
3:25 PM
Here in Beaufort I was pulled over today for speeding. I ride a peace sport 50cc moped. According to the officer he stated that mopeds can not go over 25mph, but mine came straight out of the box w/ no modifaction it can do 40-45mph on leval groung but no more. I think we might need to contact our local state reps and have the speed raised. If i travel and 25mph I feel that I'm going to be road kill. It just seems safer to be able to traffic with in the posted municpal speed limits.

Getomaan. Your post brings back memories of "The Great Santini" at MCAS Beaufort.
Your Peace Sport is a scooter, with no pedals?
You could ride it 30mph in TX, without a motorcycle license.
Every state is different.

Hi getomaan. Welcome to MBc.
Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Please tell us a little about yourself since this is the intro forum.
I will move this thread to the MotoredBiking Laws & Legislation forum where I think it's fits better after you make an intro post. We like to get to know a little about the people we talk to here. Thanks
Jim

Sorry, new to this forum. I spent 10 1/2 yrs in the Marine and the 16yrs as a LEO working on Hilton head. I've been riding for several years and Love the feel of the open roads. My last bike was a 1943 Indian. Great bike until it met it's fate with a maple tree. That is another story. But back to my peace sport, I know it's a scooter it has no pedals. My question is that I've been researching some other states laws. I have been seeing a trend some states have a different listing with reguards to mopeds, motor scooters, scooter and motorcycles. For the most part my peace sport falls between a moped and a motor scooter do to the facts the one it has no pedals and that its max speed is 37-40+ mph.

It is unfortunate that all the states have different regs. Here in Pennsylvania if it doesn't have pedals it's classified as a motorcycle. Anyway welcome to the forum.

Jim

Getomaan. Your post brings back memories of "The Great Santini" at MCAS Beaufort.
Your Peace Sport is a scooter, with no pedals?
You could ride it 30mph in TX, without a motorcycle license.
Every state is different.

Hello wheelbender6,

I live in Texas and have been wondering about scooter law. Can you point me to document/link for the 30mph w/o a motorcycle license as you stated above?
What about registration and insurance?

Thanks in advance.

Sam - You might find it in this thread.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=15421
There are many Texas threads in the Law subforum.
The laws are much clearer and consistent for a manufactured moped or 50cc scooter (that comes with a COI so you can title it), than for motorized kit bikes.

Last edited:
Thanks. I read that thread many times but could not find any thing related to riding a 49cc (Peace Sport) w/o a motorcycle license.

Did I miss it? If so can you (or someone else) tell me where it is.

Thanks. I read that thread many times but could not find any thing related to riding a 49cc (Peace Sport) w/o a motorcycle license.

Did I miss it? If so can you (or someone else) tell me where it is.

You might try posting your question in that thread instead of hijacking getos introduction thread.

Back