Insurances....

bike4life

Local time
6:33 AM
Do u guys register your lil creations
Do u buy insurance

Thx b/c my 6.5hp 212cc pusher is almost complete and I’m not sure if I should go through this legal bull s**t....
I am gonna tip off the 212 sticker and replace with 49...
What da ya think insurance/registration yay or nay.
It’s a legal gray area as would it be registered as a trailer or a moped or assisted mobility device??? I know if I get it registered as assisted mobility it’s no license or reg. Required

It's been my experience ins co's will only insure scooters that's on their approved list. W/Allstate they wouldn't insure a Genuine Blur 150cc but would insure a Kymco Movie 150cc. Off road bikes must be insurable somehow maybe that angle would work? Then there's the registration/plated being legal angle, I dunno. Then there's the fact every state is different about the rules. Good luck.

Mine is registered as a moped, and State Farm insures it for a whopping $12 a year. But only as a favor, I think, since we have two cars and a home insured thru them as well.

The damn plate is $42 a year, though. Jesus.

I think trailers over a certain length need registered and titled to get insured. your trailer possibly falls under (seasonal) farm equipment bcs it doesn't have DOT tires and doesn't need a tag but you might need one of those orange triangles on it. if it's not permanent mounted, it is its own thing.
I wouldn't take it on a 45mph + road tho.
look into NJ BMV laws for towed trailers, then try Progressive and Geico if they have a category for scooters, 'peds, etc,,

It’s
I think trailers over a certain length need registered and titled to get insured. your trailer possibly falls under (seasonal) farm equipment bcs it doesn't have DOT tires and doesn't need a tag but you might need one of those orange triangles on it. if it's not permanent mounted, it is its own thing.
I wouldn't take it on a 45mph + road tho.
look into NJ BMV laws for towed trailers, then try Progressive and Geico if they have a category for scooters, 'peds, etc,,
it’s an engine pusher trailer 30” no ordinary trailer. I plan on using bicycle insurance as that would be most acclipable as there is no motorized trailer insurance and it’s not a motorized bike. My plan is screw the whole insurance and plate.
It will be an “assisted mobility device”
Which requires no insurance or registration
I will put a dummy crap universal motor on the chain thing. Then run to car batteries. Both batteries and motor are junk and will not work just for show is the idea. Peel a sticker off my bandsaw which says 1hp and put it on. I can then say it’s an electric mobility device. The engin supppsed to just charge the batteries. Wink wink. Reality none of it works and the motor has the innerds pulled out so it has no resistance on the engine. When asked when going 55mph, I say the mobility does 20mph which is its max speed by law, I can bike 25mph, and 10mph wind....

you might get let off the hook, but it's a hassle to get pulled over. you know how loud a preddy is at full throttle hammering down the road? sound like a go kart or minibike n draw attention hahaha
just get a good muffler n pipe set-up

you might get let off the hook, but it's a hassle to get pulled over. you know how loud a preddy is at full throttle hammering down the road? sound like a go kart or minibike n draw attention hahaha
just get a good muffler n pipe set-up
I’ll make the excuse that I was just charging the batteries....

Once you put power to a wheel of a trailer it becomes a motor vehicle. At that point in time it will depend on the states description of motor vehicles and what category it fits in. If it fits none in the motor vehicle code, it most likely will be considered an off road use only vehicle. The cop could have it towed to an impound facility, or might let them take it home. Tickets??? That would be anyone's guess, he might be in a good mood, or the operator might have irritated him and he might throw the book at him. Using public roads is a privilege, not a right, the states control what can and cannot be used on a public road.

i think i remem reading Minnesota being easy to get titles for salvage bikes and builds then transfer title to your state. many frames have a serial# under the crank youd use as the vin. I'll look into that again bcs i have the 118cc that is looking very motorcycley now and will need a plate. itll only be a token bicycle bcs i started with that frame.
pedal assisted motorbike anyone? lol
technically if it came to it, mobility devices aren't intended for use on roads. i still think farm equipment is more accurate of your trailer for liability purposes. mobility devices don't change your liability from pedestrian movement if you argue that line. the judge'll lecture you on how you were going 4x faster than anyone can run and a $500 fine could be an end to your motorized trailer

Do u guys register your lil creations
Do u buy insurance

Thx b/c my 6.5hp 212cc pusher is almost complete and I’m not sure if I should go through this legal bull sh*t....
I am gonna tip off the 212 sticker and replace with 49...
What da ya think insurance/registration yay or nay.
It’s a legal gray area as would it be registered as a trailer or a moped or assisted mobility device??? I know if I get it registered as assisted mobility it’s no license or reg. Required
i personally wouldnt register it, as i can garentee you they wont let you.

i havent registered my bike as no one bothers me about it (exept for one)
everyone thinks its just a cool novitly and no one asks about registration.
so, if you arnt going to do anything stupid. i wouldnt.
but if you are, good luck to you, becuase NJ is a pain in the ass to register anything.

Back