Is the Nexus 3 speed hub strong enough?

3 speed sturmy archer

I have been running a 3 speed sturmy archer hub in my bike. It currently runs a honda gx50 motor and stanton gear box. I never power shift it on wot, only shift when I let off the throttle, but it sure does go. I am currently configuring the bike to run a jackshaft hub so I can actually pedal the bike, but am having too much fun as is. I like the idea of another 3 speed hub as my jack shaft, and then run 6 gears?
I will get pic's of my frankenbike soon

Mike

there should be no problem with running a kit
it just can't take it if driven by engine (pedal side)which is what was asked here

Sorry AZ, I'm not understanding what you mean "pedal side". Can you try to enlighten me again please?

steve (torques)
I haver read that they can't take the power of an engine
they were designed for leg power
but, if you wanna try, go ahead

Well, it looks like I have make up my mind about what type of tranny to use on the Red Barron.

Firstly, if I understand what everone is saying, I can expect limited success running engine power through the original gear system of the bike and expecting to get any real longevity out of it. Shame really as it would have been a piece of cake.

Secondly, it looks like there are a few possibilities out there where you can hook up a 2 speed through the use of cog belts (from a scooter), or centrifugal clutches and chains, etc.. The problem is, I like to shift myself so I shy away from an automatic whatever, and I really want more that 2 speeds. More like 3, that is.

I have decided to design a simple 3 speed tranny using belts and pulleys. There probably won't be time or tools available to me for a while to actually build this toy as we will be moving soon, but it keeps my mind turning over and occupied on fun things.

BTW, I just this evening found out that I passed my 3 day Watchmaker test that ended 2 straight years of study. Talk about Stress! Glad to have this behind me, and to have passed it too!

Anyone need a Watchmaker in Colorado?

Last edited by a moderator:
4:13 AM and I can't sleep. Who knows.

Thanks on the congrats. Yes, a huge relief. Now I am eligable for Rolex training, and will start that next week.

Yes, Alaskavan, that 2 speed with the cog belts does have a manual 2nd gear. Looks like a really nice, compact system that will make someone a fast and reliable ride. In fact I think that one would be my first runner up choice as it really looks well thought out, designed, and manufactured, etc...

However, I like the challenge of designing and putting together a set of blueprints in my head of the final product. It is almost as much fun for me to design something like this as it will be to use it. ...the report card used to say "daydreams too much...".

Wish I lived in AK. So cool!

I have learned over the last few months I am the transmission. I had thought about using belts, pulleys and gears and how fast I wanted to go. Then I went fast and the thought passed through my head how much it would hurt to fall off.
Change direction.
I have a DE friction drive. Simple basic. Even the Happy Time drive kits are single gear chain drive. Simple
I can maintain 18-20 MPH without any input. I can even hit 30+ on level ground. Where I need some help are the hills. So I start pedaling. Even on the edge of the Llano there are some steep hills. Not long ones mind you, but some steep ones. When I hit the bottom of the hill I start pedaling to catch up with the engine as I start up the the hill. Usually about 1/4 to 1/2 way up the hill I start having to apply a little pressure to the pedals. This is with a 2 stroke engine. As I hit the top of the hill, I ease off the pedals and pick up speed.
No gears, simple.
I can see on a really steep hill having another gear would be nice. But I dont think for the complexity to get it is worth all the trouble. There is a thread where someone hit 45 MPH with a Staton chain drive. Single speed and had plenty of engine left.
Fords and Chevys

Wow, Henry David Therou (spelling?) said, "simplify, simplify, simplify". I agree with you that there is a beauty in simplification, and sticking to just the bare basics. I can't disagree with what you said, as you are of course right and make absolute sense.

However, at the same time, for me, designing and building this (complex) mechanism is in itself extremely rewarding. Even if I never had a chance to ride the bike (and of course I will), I would greatly enjoy designing and building it and that in itself would be enough to make it worth it for me.

So I see it both ways, but have to do it my way.

Thanks for the input.

Back