Is this a good bike to use?

I agree with you on the front/rear argument. The 112mph Rourke/Hope human powered (slipstreaming) bike in the link above has only a front brake and fixed gear. However, using its front hydraulic disc brake allowed the rider to slow down from 112mph on a sandy beach without lifting the rear wheel or losing traction. Modulation, accurate control of the braking power, "feathering" (no idea if that word is used in USA) allows you the best chance of survival in a critical situation.
Even a V brake has far better modulation than a caliper, cantilever or even U brake. Due to the extra leverage from the brake arms there is less leverage required from the lever on the bars. That means a longer cable pull, that means less cable stretch, that means much better life saving modulation.

Cable actuated disc brakes use the same lever as V brakes, plenty of cable pull (low leverage at the bars) so they have a comparable stretch and drag but with the added benefit of being unaffected by imperfect/dented/bent rims, water, mud, oil from the road, so they can be closer to the disc (they move less) for even more pressure which is what cleans the disc surface.. And they don't wear down the aluminium rim by scraping grit into it so your wheels last. The disc is steel, never wears down noticeably.
Hydraulic actuation just gives you a drag free, stretch free, virtually maintenance free system but the difference is like night and day. True one finger braking and modulation like nothing else.

My refurbished 20 year old Hope C2 hydraulic disc front brake cost £15 ($20) from an eBay seller. $20 to stop me ending up under a truck sounds okay to me.. Even $10 for a V brake would be money well spent IMO compared to dumpster erm I mean caliper brakes. Maybe I'm just fancy, but I think overkill is better than being killed.
Spend your $10 on a wreath if you want.

p.s. there are plates that you can bolt on, so you can mount V brakes and disc brakes to old frames that only have the caliper hole. :)
That sounds like a good idea, I just watched a tutorial on how to put them on. I'll see if I can mount it on my bike, but if not, I know I can mount the regular brakes. Thanks!

That sounds like a good idea, I just watched a tutorial on how to put them on. I'll see if I can mount it on my bike, but if not, I know I can mount the regular brakes. Thanks!
Do you read what you've written? What the hell kind of bike do you ride that you need to be concerned about slowing down from"112 mph" on a sandy beach of all things??? I do agree, when my jet rocket on my bike reaches maximum propulsion I just release my parachute..NEVER, I REPEAT, NEVER PLACE YOUR FEET DOWN UNTIL YOUR THRUSTERS HAVE POWERED DOWN :)

Back to the subject of this thread, I think your choice of bike reflects a deep need to keep up with the JONES'S, be original, build what YOU want.

I agree about V brakes. I counted them under all other types of caliper rim brakes. If you want to be as safe as possible, just have a front brake of some type. After brakes, I would get a decent chain tensioner and a hub mounted rear sprocket mount. The one crash I had on a motorized bike was caused by the cheap chain tensioner getting pulled into the rear wheel. I gave up and went to friction drive. But there are now solutions to those problems, and I may build another frame mount motorized bike.

I agree about V brakes. I counted them under all other types of caliper rim brakes. If you want to be as safe as possible, just have a front brake of some type. After brakes, I would get a decent chain tensioner and a hub mounted rear sprocket mount. The one crash I had on a motorized bike was caused by the cheap chain tensioner getting pulled into the rear wheel. I gave up and went to friction drive. But there are now solutions to those problems, and I may build another frame mount motorized bike.
I second this! The stock rag mount sucks, I've learned to live without the tensioner....
How did you crash with your rear wheel locking up???? When my rear wheel locks up it just kinda skids and I can still ride it but also I'm used to that kind of riding where I'm from

(Nothing but hills and gravel so my breaks lockup before I stop;))

Do you have any metal working skills/tools?
Mig welded, grinder ,drill press etc...
Aspirations of fabricating any custom elements?

Back