It’s coming together…

Al Regresar

Local time
1:03 PM
Humility…That’s why I have mad respect for the technical experts and information on this forum. I got the rag joint on the bike and the bearings repacked. The rear wheel was tight with almost no runout and fit in the frame (with a lot of persuasion). At this point, I felt pretty good and like I had joined some club. I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports. I was having so much fun with this task that I had to tell myself, ‘You’ve got to stop taking away more metal, the polished look you going for isn’t possible with the tools you have,’ several times. Then, I fumbled multiple times putting the jug on the lower case. Things were bassackwards. I had seen pictures of broken pistons and snapped rings so I used a lot of assembly lube and took my time. After 4 attempts, doubts, and curse words, it went on. Like I said before…I was humbled and maybe learned something. Perhaps, with practice I could improve.

Attachments

• C688E271-60BE-44D3-9157-FFF9542F694C.jpeg
    C688E271-60BE-44D3-9157-FFF9542F694C.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 72
Humility…That’s why I have mad respect for the technical experts and information on this forum. I got the rag joint on the bike and the bearings repacked. The rear wheel was tight with almost no runout and fit in the frame (with a lot of persuasion). At this point, I felt pretty good and like I had joined some club. I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports. I was having so much fun with this task that I had to tell myself, ‘You’ve got to stop taking away more metal, the polished look you going for isn’t possible with the tools you have,’ several times. Then, I fumbled multiple times putting the jug on the lower case. Things were bassackwards. I had seen pictures of broken pistons and snapped rings so I used a lot of assembly lube and took my time. After 4 attempts, doubts, and curse words, it went on. Like I said before…I was humbled and maybe learned something. Perhaps, with practice I could improve.
Gee, I hate to bring this up now, but which side of the piston are the ring pins on?

Gee, I hate to bring this up now, but which side of the piston are the ring pins on?
Being that the ring pins are a dissimilar metal from the aluminum piston it is pressed into, exhaust side heat will loosen them and break the pins off the piston and lodge them into the motor and ruin it...Be sure you have them on the intake side.

Back