Just wondering if its doable - gas to run electric ?

Denny, sweet! really like the way you put trailer in tandem and direct drive. Great food for thought. My winter project is going to be similar. http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html Electric start rocks. I hadn't thought of that as a feature. Thanks!

Appreciate the kind words, but you over estimate me. It ended up that way because it was easy, and worked good. Actually the electric start was an accident.....I shut down the engine, and it kept turning. :eek: I thought I broke it. After I figured out what was going on, I did the dp/dt switch thing, and pretended like I designed it to do that. :cool: Kind of like the ability to burn a nice big headlight with the onboard generator though. Hopefully the mini lathe will get here about the same time as the Honda, so I can do a better coupling job. Another improvement I have to do is make some kind of a stand. Lexus owners keep complaining when I just lean it up against their car. :eek:

Another project I did (pertaining to the lik you posted) I took a little 5 hp diesel, a GM Delphi alternator (200 amp I think) a 2500 watt inverter, and an 8d battery, and made a genset that runs on vegetable oil. I had a contract for one of the local gold mines to build some filtration equipment for them, and the gas for my regular genset was $40 or more bucks a day. Sometimes it is running just to charge up drill batteries and maybe a couple light, so I used this concoction. Last job, the fuel was $4.87, and that was buying the oil at the store. Gotta try bio diesel next. Wow....cross country for 0 fuel cost. :D

Denny

If you add a little Saran Wrap to the duct tape and zip ties, them I would say you are about where the rest of the lectric are on their builds. I look forward to seeing you build. Some of us here are a little rough around the edges. And this may give me something to do with a 40CC Robin Engine I have iritating my wife. And a hub motor set up would have her asking me what in blazes is that, how much did it cost, and are you ever gonna grow up.
Teheeeeeheeeheee

I have a bumper sticker. It says, "Growing old is a requirement, growing up is optional". I think I just found my signature.

Denny

Denny, how do you control throttle/accelerator?

Well, now this is the really complicated part that will show off my electromechanical prowess. I hooked up a digital vom, and took my #1 straight screwdriver, and kept turning up the idle screw until the meter read 58 volts. I have a tach that reads rpm off a reflective tape on the input shaft. It read about 4950 or so rpm. Then I stepped back and said, "da...rn, I wonder how long that will work." (any other happy time owners note....Ryobi trimmers have THREE screws on the carb. :D) I rode it around a bit, and the voltage and rpm stayed in about the same range. It would float up coming down hills, and drop a bit going up, but stayed close enough to work. I did order a generator solenoid and governor board but they hadn't arrived when I put this thing together. I didn't expect it to stay that close. If I disconnect the load, the engine takes off, but I just hit the kill switch. When I reconnect the engine, it just starts, and floats around 56-60 volts again. I read up on charging batteries, and apparently overvolting them doesn't bother them as long as they aren't fully charged. (this is with sla batteries. wet cells will boil off water if overcharged too long) So, as long as I keep the battery pack under load, it just keeps recharging to full capacity. When I park at home I put the chargers on it, and they go into equalizing mode, and then the maintenance mode.

I am waiting for a GX31 Honda with a governor to arrive as my next power source. The reason for this is that with the 55 watt halogen, I think there will be more of a power fluctuation, so it will need a governor to maintain the proper rpm. On these PM motors, or the modified Delco alternator for that matter, the voltage is determined by rpms. We'll see if that works. I have a little Honda on a concrete screed, and they are more bullet proof than trimmer engines too.

Oh, by the way, the regulator setup is going to end up on the biodiesel genset, so it won't be wasted.

Denny

PS. The regulator is for 12 volts, so I planned to sense off just one of the batteries.

PPS. Just thought of something. If you mean the bikes speed, it has a twist grip and controller. That all came with the wheel kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me you plan to build these as a purchasable kit... :D

Jemma xx

A kit.....gee, never thought of that. That could be the career change I am looking for. Actually it is so simple that anyone can do it. Parts numbers and suggestions I can furnish for free. My career in Wisconsin was more heavy equipment oriented, so I had a pretty complete machine shop. Juneau topography and cost vs return doesn't allow that. I really miss my shop. :cry:

Hybrid bikes international .com

I'm a thunking you 2 should form an international company serving the alternative/green transportation needs of an oil starved and or non licenced growing consumer base! I will of course be Executive Director of sales in the "lower 48" and beer administrator.

I really think if the whole power unit could fit on just the bike it self, you have a very marketible unit that would do really well in the market. (An elonggated frame?)

I'm a thunking you 2 should form an international company serving the alternative/green transportation needs of an oil starved and or non licenced growing consumer base! I will of course be Executive Director of sales in the "lower 48" and beer administrator.

I really think if the whole power unit could fit on just the bike it self, you have a very marketible unit that would do really well in the market. (An elonggated frame?)

Hey, now I get paid in beer? Just how much beer would you administer to me??? :D Seriously, I originally had the hub wheel on the front, and the batteries and gen on the rack. The little black box in the pic is the bottom of an old Igloo cooler (six pak size) ;) that I cut out and mounted to disguise and quiet the motor. It worked fine, but I missed the front disc brake. Gotta love brakes.

Wow, I never thought of it as marketable. Years ago I drew up a rotary cotter pin making machine that started a whole new company. (long story...worked in a lockwasher factory to keep fed in electronics school), and if you look at a Cat excavator, the hydraulic quick disconnect for the bucket was something I made up for my excavatorThe Cat mechanic came out to repair one of my machines onsite, and about a year later....... Ideas I got, just never follow through. :(

Denny, as CEO, owner and operator of north America, you would get paid in fine Ales and exotic pets. Lucky blighter. (I don't really know what a "blighter" is, Jemma?)

With a DC motor, how would I regulate speed? I am thinking some sort of dimmer switch.

Back