Looking for recommendations for a noobie

Wrinkley

Local time
8:58 AM
Hey guys, haven’t posted in a while because I haven’t ridden in awhile. I was having an issue with my clutch cable, and never got back into the garage. I just got my bike up and running again, and have some probably rather simple questions.

Firstly, I don’t have too many miles on my bike, and was wondering, what is actually considered the break-in period? Is it in terms of miles, or tanks of gas? Is it terrible that I’ve had it wide open for any amount of time? I wouldn’t say I’ve driven it like I stole it, but did get it to some high RPMS.

Secondly, is it common to for the bike to vibrate pretty hard at high RPMs? I don’t mean like I’m about to fall off, but if I start letting my hands loosen up, I can tell that the bike is vibrating pretty hard. If it’s not normal, what should I check?

Thirdly, I’m willing to do some upgrades to my bike. I’m not necessarily looking for performance specific upgrades, but any upgrades that are highly recommended. I have a BR6HS Spark Plug in the mail currently, should arrive Thursday. Can you tell what kind of carburetor I have in the photos? I’ve been researching the Bofeng carburetor and I’ve seen some mixed messaging regarding the upgrade. I already have a higher airflow intake, would I have any noticeable performance out of the Bofeng?

I currently have the chain tensioner that came with the kit, and I do have some play in the chain. Not a ton, but was wondering if that was a recommendation as well? I like the idea of the ones that have a spring such as this. Again, I’ve seen some mixed messaging within this forum, and didn’t know if there was a preferred tensioner that the masses would recommend.

I don’t currently have the Killswitch connected, as one of the metal tips came off, and honestly, just wasn’t patient enough to troubleshoot it. Is this terrible? Currently I just come to a stop, and let off the clutch and the engine kills itself. I see that some people have recommended a higher quality CDI, should I do this, and kill two birds with one stone?

Also, I like the looks of the CNC heads, and the fact hat it would match my bike makes me like it even better. Would I see any performance gains with this? Performance loss? I’m not sold on it, but if I would see some substantial performance benefits, I could potentially talk myself into it.

Lastly, looking at the pics of my bike, are there any obvious flaws/mistakes that you see in my build? I’m relatively ignorant and want to ensure I’m not setting myself up for failure. I know I cramped up the air filter a little bit when installing it, I didn't realize that there wasn't anything stopping me from over-tightening it. I have a spare in the event that you think I royally screwed it up.

Thanks again everyone, you all have been tremendously patient and helpful with me in the past 😊

Attachments

• 20230912_154541.jpg
    20230912_154541.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20230912_154603.jpg
    20230912_154603.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230912_154609.jpg
    20230912_154609.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230912_154505.jpg
    20230912_154505.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230912_154448.jpg
    20230912_154448.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230912_154440.jpg
    20230912_154440.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 107
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just some observations…Nice bike! The steel cruiser is often the recommended frame for gas bikes.

I’m sure Damien will chime in…keep things stock until the motor is broken in. Follow the break in instructions for that particular motor.

Air cleaner is fine after broken in. Go back to stock configuration in the meantime. Same with the ignition upgrade. After engine break in do mods one at a time.

Disc brakes/upgraded wheels are much safer. I’m not sure what you have on now (stock?).

Preferred chain set-up: without tensioner by adjusting motor mounts and chain length.

Wheels and brakes are the best upgrades, and that will likely solve the vibration issue too. Al is right to some extent, don't go modding the heck out of your engine until it is broken in, but the air filter isn't a big deal. I personally like the design of the bofeng as far as a stock sized carb goes.

Just some observations…Nice bike! The steel cruiser is the often the recommended frame for gas bikes.

I’m sure Damien will chime in…keep things stock until the motor is broken in. Follow the break in instructions for that particular motor.

Air cleaner is fine after broken in. Go back to stock configuration in the meantime. Same with the ignition upgrade. After engine break in do mods one at a time.

Disc brakes/upgraded wheels are much safer. I’m not sure what you have on now (stock?).

Preferred chain set-up: without tensioner by adjusting motor mounts and chain length.
Thank you for your comments on the bike. I felt a little bad because it's my late grandpa's old bike. A 100 Year Anniversary Schwinn. When I started cutting off the fenders and stuff it had an emblem that said "Made in Taiwan". Found it interesting, but figured it having a motor made it more interesting. I currently have a dual rim brakes that are attached to one handle.

Wheels and brakes are the best upgrades, and that will likely solve the vibration issue too. Al is right to some extent, don't go modding the heck out of your engine until it is broken in, but the air filter isn't a big deal. I personally like the design of the bofeng as far as a stock sized carb goes.
Yeah, I'm not looking to go crazy on modifications, just didn't know if there was any one part/modification that the community really recommends. I'd like to go faster, but I'd rather the bike run longer, and not have to mess with it too much.

This is the kit that I bought, but the only documentation I found was another seller that said the break-in period was "about 1-2 tanks", so still a little hazy on it.

Thank you for your comments on the bike. I felt a little bad because it's my late grandpa's old bike. A 100 Year Anniversary Schwinn. When I started cutting off the fenders and stuff it had an emblem that said "Made in Taiwan". Found it interesting, but figured it having a motor made it more interesting. I currently have a dual rim brakes that are attached to one handle.

Yeah, I'm not looking to go crazy on modifications, just didn't know if there was any one part/modification that the community really recommends. I'd like to go faster, but I'd rather the bike run longer, and not have to mess with it too much.

This is the kit that I bought, but the only documentation I found was another seller that said the break-in period was "about 1-2 tanks", so still a little hazy on it.
If you have a small rank run 3 tanks at 25:1. The one major modification that is suggested you've already done (the air filter). If you are interested in future modification check this thread out

Can I ask how you can tell? I didn't think the BoFeng had the purge button(or whatever it's called) on the bottom?
But it does...lol...Also, if you look on the left side of the carby where the idle screw is, look up near the top of the carby on the round area where the barrel slide with needle valve slides into the carby, you will see "BoFeng" in raised letters written right on the carby.

Only a small handful of the BoFengs don't have it written there but are left blank instead, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that yours is a BoFeng.

But it does...lol...Also, if you look on the left side of the carby where the idle screw is, look up near the top of the carby on the round area where the barrel slide with needle valve slides into the carby, you will see "BoFeng" in raised letters written right on the carby.

Only a small handful of the BoFengs don't have it written there but are left blank instead, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that yours is a BoFeng.
Lol, you are absolutely correct. Well I guess we can knock that one off of the mods list.

How cool and a nice tribute to your family and late Grandpa!

Back