Magneto Generator Project

Chicken

Local time
6:32 PM
Ever since I built my motorized bike, I’ve been messing with the white wire trying to hook a small light to it. I eventually gave up cuz it kept on killing the engine.

Instead of robbing power from the spark plug’s magneto, I decided to make my own generator out of some wire (from an old motor) and thin sheet metal.

After all that, much to my disappointment, I only got .32 volts out of it. Is there something I did wrong? Was the wire too thin? Did I ground it incorrectly? I’d really like this thing to work. Hope the pictures help.

thanks in advance for your replies
-Sean

-

Attachments

• 28124759-8546-4F56-AA95-E67ACFEFDC17.jpeg
    28124759-8546-4F56-AA95-E67ACFEFDC17.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 37D4D51C-741C-47FC-AB64-836D776E1E2A.jpeg
    37D4D51C-741C-47FC-AB64-836D776E1E2A.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 185
  • C0D0442C-F1BD-4DE7-B65B-80994E111C24.jpeg
    C0D0442C-F1BD-4DE7-B65B-80994E111C24.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 72897C8E-9BDF-4D78-82D4-284DFA82FB30.jpeg
    72897C8E-9BDF-4D78-82D4-284DFA82FB30.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 182
Ever since I built my motorized bike, I’ve been messing with the white wire trying to hook a small light to it. I eventually gave up cuz it kept on killing the engine.

Instead of robbing power from the spark plug’s magneto, I decided to make my own generator out of some wire (from an old motor) and thin sheet metal.

After all that, much to my disappointment, I only got .32 volts out of it. Is there something I did wrong? Was the wire too thin? Did I ground it incorrectly? I’d really like this thing to work. Hope the pictures help.

thanks in advance for your replies
-Sean
Why mess with all that when you can do something like what i do for lighting...been running it for years now...lithium ion batteries, rechargeable thru USB plug in to the wall socket, your computer, or solar panel built into the light itself, will also power your cell phone as well.

watch the video that is on this Amazon site while your at it...its quite bright as well and has built in horn...DAMIEN

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Your windings aren't tight enough. If you clamp a drill in a vise and then chuck the whole thing up in the drill to turn it, the windings will be tighter. Just run the drill on a slow setting and keep the wire tight as it goes on.

Why mess with all that when you can do something like what i do for lighting...been running it for years now...lithium ion batteries, rechargeable thru USB plug in to the wall socket, your computer, or solar panel built into the light itself, will also power your cell phone as well.

watch the video that is on this Amazon site while your at it...its quite bright as well and has built in horn...DAMIEN

Ye, I guess the only reason why I went through all that trouble is to guarantee that I’ll never run out of battery. Thanks for your advice though, I can definitely see the benefits in one of those and I might get one when this project fails.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Your windings aren't tight enough. If you clamp a drill in a vise and then chuck the whole thing up in the drill to turn it, the windings will be tighter. Just run the drill on a slow setting and keep the wire tight as it goes on.

I suppose that’s the problem 🤔, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Oh and when building your base, use plates like a sandwich, to kill any eddy currents that will propagate in the base. Like with the ignition, stator coil, and the magneto.
Pardon for asking, but what exactly do you mean by sandwich? And why is it that you should prevent current forming in the base?

Back