Motor/Engine misnomer

actually I was first taught this by husqvarna mechanics when I was making the error. then being in this line of work many times and with some patients I mean patents under my belt it was the proper terminology to make. If you do look up the definition it does tend to contradict itself .. and I have learned that the dictionary is not always literal as in the total facts. it will form to the general public's understanding..for example the work ain't. for the longest time the dictionary did not have this in it as a actual word. But due to common public use of it they decided to write a definition as the public viewed it . Thats how so many slang words now have become real words with definitions...here is a link you may find interesting. Pretty much says verbatim what I did.
http://www.makingthishome.com/2009/07/28/how-to-sound-smart-motors-vs-engines-edition/

this caught my attention because I'm really into aircrafts as a hobby...and once again I ramble on.sorry

Last edited:
just went to check out that site..rather off topic for an engine versus a motor. It goes into definitions that do not pertain to the subject at hand. really not very specific at all...just my opinion. but thanks for bringing it up to my attention.

There is the problem. You are depending on people in the industry and not a dictionary. All words have more than one meaning. The subject at hand (I thought) was the definitions of motor and engine.

To clarify, OFF Topic is where we went earlier.:geek: A definition by an accepted dictionary is on topic.

Patients?

sorry that bothers so many people..just because majority rules does not mean it is right. We all know that...people tend to believe in whatever the majority does.And that includes government when trying to deal with the public.so they state what the public understands to be right.what I said could be understood as logic, and basic logic can not be denied by those who study the matter intensely before posting, as I did. I try very hard to look at things as they really are. And not to ever let my own personal opinions cloud it. this is a must in my line or career choice

but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And should be able to voice it and without being censored... And this one is mine, but of course on the great view who really cares? It began as only a fleeting thought to me today, nothing else. why get so intense on this? it really was posted just as food for thought.. for purely amusement. and thought.. so thank-you for your point of view , and thanks for reading. night gentleman its my bedtime.... that is all I have to say, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Goodness gracious!

Did this thread get out of hand or what?

Three or four times the original poster stated that he viewed the subject as a mere nothing and was just throwing it out there as an idle thought.

To think that anyone would try to show-off superior intelligence with such a trivial subject seems over-suspicious to me.

(If I didn't quote that exactly right, it merely means that I didn't scroll back all the way to check the wording and was going by memory. Don't be offended. Unless I got it really, really wrong.)

He's been pretty gracious in his explanations and even apologies.

Is it really necessary to humiliate him over such a small issue?

Goodness gracious!

Did this thread get out of hand or what?

Three or four times the original poster stated that he viewed the subject as a mere nothing and was just throwing it out there as an idle thought.

To think that anyone would try to show-off superior intelligence with such a trivial subject seems over-suspicious to me.

(If I didn't quote that exactly right, it merely means that I didn't scroll back all the way to check the wording and was going by memory. Don't be offended. Unless I got it really, really wrong.)

He's been pretty gracious in his explanations and even apologies.

Is it really necessary to humiliate him over such a small issue?

Apparently so, blue.

"A sense of humor is the lubricant of life's engine" (or is that motor?) :D

Maybe a good idea to check the oil?

Last edited:
I actually looked this up when I first joined this site since "motor" is more often used for "electrical motor" while "engine" implies "internal combustion".

What it comes down to is: all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines.

This reminds me that I have to get my outboard engine ready for fishing season... Or is that my outboard motor? lol

PC is not a computer term. It is a real life term, which stands for Politically Correct.

I actually looked this up when I first joined this site since "motor" is more often used for "electrical motor" while "engine" implies "internal combustion".

What it comes down to is: all engines are motors, but not all motors are engines.

Just like how every square is a rectangle, but every rectangle is not a square.

It's not a misnomer, it's not slang, it's the English language - and the Motor VS Engine topic is not the only one.

We should steer this topic off course and just post other terms like that.

Back