Motorbicycles in traffic, take a lane ?

I claim the road on city streets with limits up to 30mph if there's traffic. Otherwise I take the bike lane or stay about a foot off the edge of the pavement. When turning left I check the mirror, signal (lights or hands) and claim the lane at the safest time before taking the turn. I try to time the left turns to be between traffic. Otherwise if its too heavy (which I generally avoid) I wait at the shoulder until I can do a hard acceleration across both lanes and down the side street. I generally avoid main roads unless they have bike lanes which pretty much all the main roads do.

how fast?

The reason I posted this question was I live in Beaverton OR. a suburb of Portland OR. one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the country. Just yesterday I tried to get to my H.M.O. trough downtown and it was almost impossible to get around if you did not take a lane, which I did.

There were literally thousands of cars but only a handful of cyclists. of the few cyclists a large percentage were in the the DWI club and of course no other MBs. Maybe I'm a bit jaded because of the horrible Christmas traffic, but I felt safer in the middle of downtown Portland on the road than I do in a bike lain in Beaverton.

My record is ten years in Portland OR no accidents. Four years in Beaverton five hits(car hitting me). Two years on a MB no hits(might just be luck)I still ride my bicycle at night because of no good lights on my MB.

I do admit that on a MB I am more aggressive(because I am faster) My unofficial top speed on my MB on the flat is about forty.(36 tooth cog,SBS pipe, thinner head gasket)

I guess I have to take every road as unique at treat it like that. Any Ideas?

Mike Frye-the bike guy

I have been riding bikes for at least 20 years before my motor. I always ride in the right tire track of my lane. people pass me like I am a car. In all this time only one a*****e tried to come as close tome as he could without hitting me. This was on a 4 lane road with no other traffic. I looked for him for a couple of weeks in my pickup with my iron dog with me. Thank God I never found him.
Always use good mirrows and keep up with the traffic behind you it may save your life.
Elmo

Back