My bikes pedals don't work, how can i start the engine without peddling?<<

i bought a 80cc 2 stroke kit on eBay and put it on a spare bike of mine, i put the engine on the bike and everything hooked up,only to realise but the derailor is stuffed, it slips the the chain of the wheel sprocket after about 2 seconds of peddling, is there a different way to start the bike such as a kickstart or could i just roll down a hill, (btw i have not started it yet )(i am very new to motorised bikes)

regards,harry
If the chain is slipping off while you're trying to sell people stuff; try pedaling the bike it should work better then.

pedal peddle petal.jpg

A rear derailleur serves 2 purposes: it shifts gears and it is a tensioner also. Shortening a chain will present you with 2 issues: the chain will either be too lose or too tight.

As a temporary get home; bypass the rear derailleur, put the chain on largest chainring up front. Next put the chain on the smallest sprocket in the rear. Cut the chain there and join it together. The chain will be loose around the large chainring and smallest sprocket. Pull the bottom of the chain to where it's starting on the second smallest sprocket. Turn the crank and the chain should go onto the second smallest sprocket. Now it'll be really tight. This is only a temporary rig job to get you home; it isn't a fix.

What you should do is adjust the rear derailleur so the chain doesn't come off. Here's but one of many videos on how to do the adjusting.

Last edited:
Put the bike up on a block or kickstand and spin the wheel until the motor starts popping then pull the clutch in my neighbor did it all the time. Fix the chain though
Right on! Going to try this! lol I bent my back sprocket. I have three brand new chains, but no card to put it on. Lol so I’ve been running ha ha ha I’m definitely gonna try this way though. Helpful answer.

Back