need advice on my moon dog before install.

BikeJohn - my Craftsman 17 open end will not allow adjustment on the frame, but the cone wrench will.

I had to adjust twice to get things right, and pulling the wheel off to do it is a PITA.

Evan - you need a 13, 15, 17 for the Kulana. Good find on the wrenches, but understand that you need 2 of them at the same time to get it right. The rear uses a 15mm on the cone, and 17mm on the locknut, etc.

Hey Marktur and Jon. Thanks for all the help. I ordered these:

http://www.amazon.com/Inline-Long-H...8MWQU&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215173371&sr=1-16

http://www.amazon.com/Inline-Long-H...8MWQU&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215173371&sr=1-19

http://www.amazon.com/Inline-Long-H...8MWQU&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215173371&sr=1-21

One of each. True to my name they're the second cheapest available ;) On a sad note, walmart is no longer offering the kulana moon dog orange either online or in stores. Glad I got the last one :)

Happy 4th!

-Evan

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Moon dog availability

My local Walmarts still have the orange and black Moondogs in stock. Saw one yesterday. You can still get the blue Moondogs through eBay. I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

BikeJohn - my Craftsman 17 open end will not allow adjustment on the frame, but the cone wrench will.

I had to adjust twice to get things right, and pulling the wheel off to do it is a PITA.

Mark, yeah, I could see that. After reading your comment I was thinking that I've never adjusted a wheel on a bike...but yes, I have too. Good catch.

My local Walmarts still have the orange and black Moondogs in stock. Saw one yesterday. You can still get the blue Moondogs through eBay. I got mine a couple of weeks ago.

True but if you check online they say not available in stores or online. I suspet they're selling off existing stock. Glad mine shipped before that... Cheers!

ok so I finally got the tool from pacific. Its a park tool available from www.parktool.com the part number is FR-1 I bet I could have gotten it faster through them...

Thanks to all for all your help. Case closed! Cheers! -Evan

Hi Evan,

Before you start wrenching off the freewheel, make sure the tool is a good snug fit. Like I stated in a previous post, the freewheel on my Moon Dog is a Falcon. According to the Park Tools website, the proper remover for the Falcon is the FR-7. If the freewheel is not too tight, the FR-1 might still work on it, but I wouldn't chance messing things up. Marktur apparently did alright with the FR-1 on his Moon Dog so maybe it's close enough... :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Evan,

Before you start wrenching off the freewheel, make sure the tool is a good snug fit. Like I stated in a previous post, the freewheel on my Moon Dog is a Falcon. According to the Park Tools website, the proper remover for the Falcon is the FR-7. If the freewheel is not too tight, the FR-1 might still work on it, but I wouldn't chance messing things up. Marktur apparently did alright with the FR-1 on his Moon Dog so maybe it's close enough... :-/

Good point 66- I called pacific and the dr-1 was what they recommended to me. I actually bought mine from them too. Maybe there's a design change on more recent models. I tried to pump them for as much info as I could and they said the FR-1 is the only frewheel tool they carry so it felt safe.

Jon- good advice. Using this tool with a vice is the way I've seen it done before at bike shops. If I can't use one at work I plan on using a socket and a breaker bar...

Cheers!

Back