Needle bearing and gear grease

neodymium

Local time
12:57 AM
Do you guys think this would be suitable for using as grease for the needle bearing and piston pin?

I know it'd be perfect for the clutch gear and other gears but not sure what kind of reaction I'd be getting inside the engine not to mention when it comes into contact with the 2 stroke oil/gas mix. I doubt it would cause any major issues and I'd be using a light coating on the needle bearing and piston pin, just to break in the engine and give it the best possible lifespan.

I have a huge tube of it that I've been using around the shop for various other projects.

Lucas Oil 14.5 Ounce 10301 Heavy Duty Grease, 14.5 oz,Green https://a.co/d/0PSTu3T

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-042556.png
    Screenshot_20230620-042556.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 66
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I thought for those parts you would just use some straight 2 stroke oil. But what do I know. I forget everything.

For the needle bearing, don't use grease. The soap left behind won't melt off and will trap grit and keep it in contact near bearing surfaces. If you desire staying power of more than straight 2 stroke oil then do what I did for an "assembly lube" and mix 2 stroke oil with some petroleum jelly. It works really well, and the petroleum jelly will melt and evaporate at just a.couple hundred degrees and leaves no trace behind.

As for the gears. That will work ok. I prefer to use a high tack grease like Red n'Tacky.

Yeah, the gas/oil will just wash it off and you'll have a pile of grease/sludge in your engine
I tried greasing a needle bearing in a 4 stroke.
The engine oil just washed it off and I had a pile of grease sludge on the bottom of the case

For the needle bearing, don't use grease. The soap left behind won't melt off and will trap grit and keep it in contact near bearing surfaces. If you desire staying power of more than straight 2 stroke oil then do what I did for an "assembly lube" and mix 2 stroke oil with some petroleum jelly. It works really well, and the petroleum jelly will melt and evaporate at just a.couple hundred degrees and leaves no trace behind.

As for the gears. That will work ok. I prefer to use a high tack grease like Red n'Tacky.
Yeah, the gas/oil will just wash it off and you'll have a pile of grease/sludge in your engine
I tried greasing a needle bearing in a 4 stroke.
The engine oil just washed it off and I had a pile of grease sludge on the bottom of the case
That's why I asked the experts. Thank you for the advice đź‘Ť

Back