Clutch New Clutch Problem

Timbone

Local time
6:59 PM
I had a new problem crop up this evening with my clutch:

At the very end of my drive home today, I pulled in the clutch lever to go into a coast and shut off the engine with the kill switch. Something had changed. Engine was still active and braking, and the clutch lever felt soft - resistance free. I pulled into the driveway and braked hard to stop the engine.

The problem was obvious upon inspection: the clutch cam was pushed upward about 3/4 of an inch.

I know there is some kind of pin inside the drive sprocket cover that acts to grab that slot in the clutch cam and hold it steady.

I look down the hole of the sprocket cover where the clutch cam slides in and I see nothing. The inside of the sprocket cover shows the outside end of a pin but it must have broken.

Any quick fixes to get me they the weekend until a new cover comes in the mail?

Thanks!

Timbone

Some times when the clutch arm is more than 45 degrees from parallel to the cover it can lift out even with the pin in place!If thats the case then you can losen the flower nut to shift the arm inside the 45 degrees and tighten the main spring to get the tension needed and have the arm closer to parallel of the cover!

first, see if it just moved out by tapping it inward - epoxy or solder it if that works

otherwise, one can take it out and drill thru to outside, then put a thin machine screw in with a nut on inside, then bend it a bit to stop nut from coming loose

Crassius, your fix works fine until a replacement cover comes. I drilled thru the pin with a 1/8" bit. Had to wallow out a bit due to using a #6 bolt as a replacement. I ground the threads off the part where the clutch cam turns. Works fine! Thanks!

I often just leave them that way instead of replacing. There's a certain satisfaction in having done it yourself.

Back