New to Forum, 3rd Build. Doing It RIGHT This Time.

Hello everyone, I have built 2 motorized bikes in the past and loved them but they were short lived and broke beyond (cost effective) repair. This summer I'm going to need transportation and the area I live is VERY busy in the summer. The population goes from a few thousand to over 500k in a matter of weeks. There are too many cars on the road and a bike is totally the way to go. I normally ride my bike in the summer and can get to my destination via bike paths, back roads and secret trails, sometimes faster then the traffic on the main road. HAHAHAHA! :devilish:

After being dissatisfied with the customer service at Kings MB, twice, I did a bunch of research and decided to spend the money and get a GEBE kit this time. The chain driven Chinese motors always freaked me out, I felt like my bike was just waiting to mess me up/blow up (it was fun thou!). I had the engine seize on me, stop the chain and I got dumped going down a hill. OW!!! Thankfully I know how to fall from riding a dirt bike as a kid, I walked away with a bent peddle and a hurt pride.

Now on to my current project.

I have a mid 90's GT Outpost trail, hard-tail mountain bike that I plan to affix a rear wheel belt driven GEBE motor to.

Day 1, Everything still on bike:

9v9yc5.jpg

Trashed cogs from rear cassette:

2q4022a.jpg

Thanks, I wont be buying the motor until I complete the bike itself, so if its still available in a month I'll consider it.

Looking good. You just going to clear coat it? Make sure you go with the 105 G rear wheel that GEBE sells. It will prevent broken spokes.

I'm going to have it clear powder coated to preserve the raw metal look and powder coat the fork white. Extra $$ but worth the overall longevity of the bike.

Also a few broken spokes is much cheaper to replace then buying a $150 new wheel. I'm running 16 gage spokes (1.29mm) at the moment, I'll be ridding mostly flat ground with a pretty high gear ratio- 3.0 (42-14). So I doubt there will be a real need for the GEBE (2.5mm) wheel. MAYBE in the future, but not for this current build.

Back