New York Motorized Bicycle Laws

New York Motorized Bicycle Regulations

Fm
The section motorbikes laws and leg is questions reguarding laws on added bicycle motors to bicycles not factory made mopeds,scooters, or anything with a mso or title.

yeah or the site would be called www-motoredmopeds-com...

well if you bought a bike with motor that was previously registered by someone else in a diffrent state,you might have a slim chance at getting it switched over to you in this state, but when they look on there list of approved mopeds,it will not be there.

One could of course buy a broke non running moped(with vin title and reg)for a low price and change out the engine for another one like these bicycle engines,which would be a improvement, i just can't find many running or non running mopeds in my area for less than $2,000 and a new one online is around $700.

Take my advice, it's a h3ll of a lot easier, just to
buy a moped (if you live in NY), then to try to get away with registering a bike with a gas motor on it...

Save yourself a lot of worries, headaches and possible jailtime, until the law is changed.
It would be awesome to get away with the inherent inexpensiveness of a bike with a gas motor (approx. $200) then having to deal with the expense of a moped (approx $800 and up) and registration, titling, insurance, etc, etc, etc, but that just ain't the case in NY.

First off the gas bike I ride is a gas bike like any other you see on this site. It's not any different from what you guys in other states that allow homemade gas bikes. The Big difference is the price, yes anyone knows it's way cheaper to just take an ordinary bicycle and mount an engine on it. But in Ohio and NY they don't allow homemade bikes from kits, I'm sure there are probably other states that have adopted laws like this.

Over half of the states do not allow these bikes with added motors on the road,but you wouldn't know that the way the engine kit sites avertise. They make it sound like its legal everywhere.

That is a good idea with buying old moped and register it and use the plates for my bike, aslong as it has plates and looks closely like a moped, you probally won't ever get pulled over. But i don't think i'll find a moped at all anytime soon. If i did find a moped id just fix it using a bicyce engine and mix bag of bike and moped type parts.

If it's a class C you don't even need an inspection Cabin!!!

I'm about to stuff it right back and just put a turn signal from the moped on my bike or the license plate bracket. So what the frame numbers don't match... I didn't know I couldn't do that?

I have thought about doing the moped thing, they are on Craiglist sometimes.
Would have to be a class C. (20 mph limit)
I guess you would have to ask the seller what it says on the registration.
I also have thught about getting a junk one with a good reg. and welding the numbers onto a bike frame with motor( and adding lights and what ever to it).

Sounds like a plan, but i have a bunch of electric motors and scooter parts coming in a week and have plans for a quiet discreet electric bike build.

Back