New York Motorized Bicycle Laws

New York Motorized Bicycle Regulations

More on my bike. I had a 69 Delta 88 (455 Rocket), motor was rarer high compression version. The car would only run right on 93 or better octane.
Latter ran #'s on the heads and found out it was a State of Texas Police pursuit motor w/ 2bbl carb!!!

An idea hit the other night and I put 93 in the bike(w/high comp.).

This thing ran like a champ. Quieter and on pace for 200mpg easy!

mach you are a true brother of the road. its very rare when MCs giving full colors right away without even prospecting. but its not like it doesnt happen. i have seen it happening. i myself was a hangaround for a MC club. i was offered prospecting but i gently and respectfully declined. still frnds with them. and i have to say that MC are not just for everyone. its a good thing that everything workd out good for you.

and as for the bike specification i have to admit i am new in this field so a lot of times i didnt even get much of the stuff. i guess the thing i most concerned right now is that if i want a motor with good reliablity and good enough power. as long as i can do 15-25 without twisting the throttle like crazy i'll be happy.

My advice on a motor set up would be go small in NY, 50CC or under! I guess Federal law requires you to register anything larger than 49CC to my best understanding. You know NY, they like to make a big deal out of everything! Build that sucker mean!!! haha,still under 50CC! When you get close to making your mind up, let me know!

Mine is a 70CC but without the gasket between the block and jug, I bet now it's under 50CC... If I had to do it over again, I would have went smaller just to be on the safe side. One less thing they could get you for!

My advice on a motor set up would be go small in NY, 50CC or under!

Mine is a 70CC but without the gasket between the block and jug, I bet now it's under 50CC... If I had to do it over again, I would have went smaller just to be on the safe side. One less thing they could get you for!

yes - that may help - here in Calif it seems that under 2 hp
for less hassle is best -- think that comes out to around 40cc ???

a 70cc without gasket - I think is still a 70cc ???

always fun when we Ride That Thing Mountainman

definitely guys i would put something that is 49cc. or under that. it was just that i was trying to put something that would be allright for my everyday crusing and taking me to work n stuff. yeah so i am putting 49cc just to be on safer side.

logan.

the bike i bought is this one: http://www.bikeberry.com/images/PRADO-DELUXE1.jpg

first thing i have to get on that is brakes, both front and rear. coaster brakes is allright but i need good brakes as here in the city people crawl over the streets n roads. next big thing would be mounting the engine on the bike as the frames is not the V. also springer fork would be good too as this bike got no suspension at all. all help is welcomed.

Logan

The bike you have choosen is very cool! I'll be looking at that site latter! Along with shoping for prices. Is that a 20 or 26 inch? Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 20.

As cool as it is, brother, your looking at alot of modification and that means money and time! I am being real careful here not to shoot down your hope or inspiration. These bikes are awsome and I was hooked the first time I let the clutch out of something I built myself. Wish you could have seen my face, just hearing it run the first time!!! I still can't believe I had it in pieces that tiny!

My sugestion for a first build would be a moondog. Guy's on this board seem to think they take the kit very well. I put mine on an old diamondback mtn bike. That was complex enough for me.

Another thing to consider is how you will use this bike... Weekend cruiser- go with your idea but it will be awhile before it see's the street if it's your first build. Everyday (to save on gas) go with something you can get parts for easy and cheap. Hub bearings, innertubes, tires, breaks, rims ect.

Don't forget also, I don't know what that bike costs yet that your eyeing??? Be drivin it in the salt? Get an el-cheapiano Huffy! Best advice I can give is type the name of the bike your looking at into the search and look for problems people have encountered! I've got near 20yr mech. experience and still almost ripped my hair out. Had to have the hardest bike to install possible! She's done now and I evenjoy and respect the **** out of ridding her!

Attachments

• e-mailht3.jpg
    e-mailht3.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 409
Mt. Man

Thanks for joining the thread!! I've learned alot from your past posts and don't know if I've ever gotten arround to talking with you yet?

I am not a know it all by far!!! I wouldn't care what people had to say here if I was!!! hahaha

One thing I know for sure is, bore times stroke times number of cyclinders = cubic displacement... Or, (B x S x #of cyclinders = CC).

I have not measured my motor (like an idiot)... If I took away the air gap between piston at (TDC or top dead center) and the head (holds plug), I have effectively raised compression and lowered my CC... With the way our motors (ht's) are, I have seriously raised compression! I'd like to speak with someone who knows more on this specifically! I want to know what compression ratio is that I'm runnin?

I did this by eliminating the gasket between the jug and block. The real thick one.
Technically, just removing the head gasket will give you an increase in compression and decrease in CC. The next gasket lower, at the base of the motor is real thick tho! The ammount of air pushed out and sucked in is smaller, without the thicker gasket providing air space between the head and top of piston at TDC.

I happened to get real lucky and have room to remove this gasket and not have a problem (piston smashing head or plug). No thanks to boy go fast who sold me the blown up motor I had to disassemble and rebuild before it ran! All of this went on before I even new this board existed! Thanks for all the help!!!

Please help talk Brother Logan out of something too complex for his first build... Your wisdom is far supperior to mine. What bike would you recomend for NY elements (salt) and ease of build ect.????

Mt. Man

One thing I know for sure is, bore times stroke times number of cyclinders = cubic displacement... Or, (B x S x #of cyclinders = CC).

Technically, just removing the head gasket will give you an increase in compression and decrease in CC. The next gasket lower, at the base of the motor is real thick tho! The ammount of air pushed out and sucked in is smaller, without the thicker gasket providing air space between the head and top of piston at TDC.

Please help talk Brother Logan out of something too complex for his first build... Your wisdom is far supperior to mine. What bike would you recomend for NY elements (salt) and ease of build ect.????

hello from Mountainman to machiasmort

I will be the first to admit -- I am out of practice here
it's been 25 years since I worked in a small engine repair shop

it just doesn't seem to me -- that removing the head gasket
would change cc that much -- I admit that I may be wrong

this is a great site to always -- learn more

I know that this isn't much help -- but -
I have seen this discussed on site here somewhere else
Mountainman just does not remember where it was....

as far as a FIRST BUILD FOR LOGAN
yes - I would wish to KEEP IT SIMPLE
something I could get up and running fast
with the least amount of repairs needed
because I just wish to

Ride That Thing Mountainman

thanks Mach and MT.man. yeah that bike would be requiring a lot of modifications. its a 24". it costs around $239. this bike will most probably will be for fun riding. i still have to figure out how to install the brakes on that thing. coaster brakes not good enough. as soon as i get it i'll try to post pictures. thanks to both of you guys for advice.

logan.

Back