Newbie Clutch Question

dkl0ud

Local time
8:46 AM
Hi! Totally new to this whole thing. I was just wondering if the clutch arm is functioning as it should? I feel like it should be pulling in more. But in this video I posted, that is me pulling the clutch lever all the way in. Thanks :)

Motorized Bike Help

Hi! Totally new to this whole thing. I was just wondering if the clutch arm is functioning as it should? I feel like it should be pulling in more. But in this video I posted, that is me pulling the clutch lever all the way in. Thanks :)

Motorized Bike Help
You have no tension on it is the problem...Look at my clutch adjustment tutorial and follow it exactly to the letter, start to finish, and you should be all set.

I would like to add that you don't need the return spring between the clutch arm and the cable stay. I say it just confuses the tension adjustment.
Basically, the arm needs to be neutral, without pressure on the bucking bar but not have any excess slack in the cable.
The assembly doesn't need to move that far to disengage the clutch pressure plate. The plate only moves a little over 1/8.

Basically, the arm needs to be neutral, without pressure on the bucking bar but not have any excess slack in the cable.
The assembly doesn't need to move that far to disengage the clutch pressure plate.
Every single one I have put together over the last ten years always has needed to have pressure against that arm before tightening it up as per my instructions in that tutorial that everyone has been referring to since I first posted it....There needs to be some beginning pressure on that bucking bar before tightening the cable stop.

Don't get me wrong. Those are excellent instructions.

My mention is because some get it so tight at rest it slips once it warms up. That is why I suggested to have a neutral resting point. Yes, I pull the cable tight before I tighten the set screw. Not gorilla tight, just tight.

Every single one I have put together over the last ten years always has needed to have pressure against that arm before tightening it up as per my instructions in that tutorial that everyone has been referring to since I first posted it....There needs to be some beginning pressure on that bucking bar before tightening the cable stop.
I over come the issue of the return spring. Some folks find it a little overpowering to pull that clutch. It just has to be adjusted a bit at a time until the rear wheel will turn when you pull the handle.

My mention is because some get it so tight at rest it slips once it warms up
Which is EXACTLY why I showed the exact position of that arm to be in, in that first pic, so that would NOT happen in the first place.

If you noticed in the OP's video, his arm was not inline with the motor and bike as a whole but was angled outward too much.

I think it looks fine in the video. It doesn't have to move very far. As long as the clutch is working properly then it's good

I think it looks fine in the video. It doesn't have to move very far. As long as the clutch is working properly then it's good
Fine, you guys can write the next tutorial then, mine has worked successfully for many people this long now, now you guys tell me I'm all wrong on this???...Plus I have never had any clutch problems in over ten years, not bad for doing it all wrong I guess.

Fine, you guys can write the next tutorial then, mine has worked successfully for many people this long now, now you guys tell me I'm all wrong on this???...Plus I have never had any clutch problems in over ten years, not bad for doing it all wrong I guess.
What are you talking about? No one said you were wrong. Just adding a bit for newbies who may not understand.

Back