Newby... Need peoples opinions.

Lammif

Local time
11:08 AM
So a few weeks ago I bought a 66cc beach cruiser. It runs pretty well, but would like a higher top speed and lower rpm's when cruising. I am considering dropping down from a 44 tooth sprocket to a 36 tooth, but am worried about the loss of acceleration. Just wondering if it would be worth looking into carby's, cdi's or upgrading the standard spark plug.

If I were to upgrade the carby would I need to also put on an expansion chamber as well to notice any power increase?

Ive been looking through ebay and I am unsure which carby to go with. Ive heard that the speed carby is the way to go.

image.png image.png

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
click on my signature link to read about many options available for increasing power

Of all the things you mention, only the expansion chamber (tuned exhaust pipe) will do anything toward increasing power.

And I wholeheartedly recommend you read Jags links as the first place to start. He covers the field pretty good.

Steve

I agree with Steve. read Jag's info, and you will get a good understanding of what's needed to get more all around power. The speed carby has no performance improvement over the stock NT. It is the same sized carb. with speed marked on the side, and a shutoff valve at the fuel inlet. The Delorto clone is a little better though still being the same size, but I have trouble finding the sweet spot. When I get them jetted to run right under load they don't want to idle well. So I just idle them a little high. You may have better luck with the Delorto as I am at 5200 ft elev. No single upgrade is going to make a huge diff.. Each one gives a little. The one I think is the most noticeable is the expansion chamber.

Agreed Gary.
I have had good luck with modifying the head, but that is a whole new bucket of worms.
Read Jag's site and look up Gordon Jenning's "2 Stroke Tuner's Guide" http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf

Squish is important on any 2 stroke. Ken O'Conner is a guru to the Blaster and Banshee communty.
Have a look at any of his videos to learn more about 2 strokes in general;

Steve

Back