Need some Thoughts and Opinions

Pugs75

Local time
9:57 PM
Good Morning,
Have a question and would like some Opinions and thoughts. I have been running a Zeda 80 for over two years now, it has never given me an issue and runs great. If i had to estimate miles, I would say 1k ish. Long story short I went to run it yesterday and it wouldn't start, started to smell fuel so I figured i flooded it, came back to the house and while pushing it up the driveway I noticed the clutch didn't feel right. I took the clutch cover off and a splash of fuel and oil came out. Well I figured the crank seal went bad, the fuel was all over the clutch and pads, hence the clutch issue. Cleaned everything up and turned the crank and could see some more fuel coming from the seal.
My question is, would you split the case and put new seals in and just go on, or would you do a rebuild?? If I am going to tear it down I would replace all the bearings and seals, new clutch pads and gaskets. Would you also do the top end as well or just the bottom? Again it runs like a champ no upper issues. Another question would you just purchase another new kit and keep this as a spare for parts?? Any helpful responses would be great, Im kinda leaning new, but would really wouldnt mind opening it up, I love fixing stuff and learning even in my 50's, your never to old to learn!!

I would just change the seal if your engine was running great before the seal failed.
It probably only needs a new seal.
Either or both seals can be replaced without splitting the cases.

Remove the bevel gear with the kit tool then carefully remove the bad seal. You do not want to scar the crankshaft or case in the process.

Everyone has their way of doing this...I drill a 1/16" hole in the center of the seal wall face then use a hook I made from a nail to pull the seal right out.

The drill process has to be done very carefully so as to not run the drill bit into the bearing behind the seal or angle it to where it hits the case or crankshaft. The bit puts a tiny hole in the face of the seal without touching anything else.

To put the new seal in....I carefully clean the case with acetone where the outer seal surface touches and use a light coat of heavy grease on the crankshaft....making sure the grease only gets on the shaft.
Then use a socket or something similar to tap the new seal in.

Reinstall the bevel gear and button it all up...then try it out.

Just change out the crank seals. It can be done without taking the motor apart.

As an alternative to the grease to protect the seal surfaces you can also use petroleum jelly. It has a much lower melting point than grease and won't leave behind the soap residue. I have a jar I mixed with 2 stroke oil that I use like an assembly lube, and it works fantastic.

I do however wonder why your engine filled up to such a high volume. I would almost suspect a carb issue as well. Like the float needle stuck or isn't sealing. Have you noticed any leaking from the carb?

I do however wonder why your engine filled up to such a high volume. I would almost suspect a carb issue as well. Like the float needle stuck or isn't sealing. Have you noticed any leaking from the carb?
I would venture one guess further...If gasoline with ethanol is being used, that is enough right there to cause these Chinese crank seals to fail and leak, especially if allowed to just sit during the winter, same goes with the carburetor that would likewise need to be cleaned and check the seal on the float bowl as well.

Just about all of us recommend to use Ethanol-Free gasoline on these 2 strokers...I will not use anything but...Over the last ten years I have not ever lost my crank seals on any of the motors I have ever used.

I would venture one guess further...If gasoline with ethanol is being used, that is enough right there to cause these Chinese crank seals to fail and leak, especially if allowed to just sit during the winter, same goes with the carburetor that would likewise need to be cleaned and check the seal on the float bowl as well.

Just about all of us recommend to use Ethanol-Free gasoline on these 2 strokers...I will not use anything but...Over the last ten years I have not ever lost my crank seals on any of the motors I have ever used.
I've never had a chevy transmission fail on me. Does that mean they never go bad?

I've never had a chevy transmission fail on me. Does that mean they never go bad?
NOPE...Just saying that ethanol is a known caustic substance that is also known to eat out these 2 stroke seals and carby's rather rapidly when used in these motors...The Chinese do not use ethanol resistant seals in their motors.

Just change out the crank seals. It can be done without taking the motor apart.

As an alternative to the grease to protect the seal surfaces you can also use petroleum jelly. It has a much lower melting point than grease and won't leave behind the soap residue. I have a jar I mixed with 2 stroke oil that I use like an assembly lube, and it works fantastic.

Thanks for the info on the assembly lube, I was thinking the carb as well, there is no leaking from it, and I have already disassembled cleaned and checked the needle and it seems ok but I wont know till I run her again.

I have been using Ethanol fuel which is probably the reason the seal went, lesson learned!! I will be using non eth fuel from now on. I did clean out the carb, it wasn't to bad. I ordered the seals and a few extra. I pulled the motor from the bike for ease of working on and to clean it up some, also to inspect the bike frame for any cracks and a good cleaning. Hopefully it will be up and running in a few days. Thanks for the input fellas.

Make sure to pull the magneto cover to see if any fuel/oil mix leaked into it from the other crank seal...If it did, you'll need to replace that as well if that coil thingy got wet...lol.

Back