No idle

bikes4ever

Local time
11:38 PM
I have own 2 motorized bikes, and seen people selling them that one of the first things to go or go wrong is that it dosent idle no more! Is this a common thing, also those stock chain tensor suck!

Not being able to idle doesn't necessarily mean the first sign of going bad...I mean if you know it has high mileage on it and you know all the gaskets are good and the carb is tuned properly, then yea maybe so...A compression check is a good way to determine a motors health or a possible problem.

My bike doesn't idle, yet. I should adjust the idle screw, but tbh it was very convenient during my first ride as I kept passing people who were walking and cycling on the cycle path. I was going use the choke as my kill switch.
I notice I don't need the choke to start. I'm running pretty rich, which is good for breaking in the engine. Putting the choke on would stop the engine quickly and safely. But having the idle screw too far out was just so convenient on a busy path.
I think the air filter gets clogged up quite often on the kit engines, especially when people run the manufacturer recommend 16:1 oil ratio. That would restrict airflow and cause rich running and perhaps have the effect of a choke. It could maybe cause or contribute to the engine not idling well. o_O

Back