"no-name" 49cc 2-stroke scooter engine

questions:
is the e/starter also the charger?

can the e/starter be easily removed for pull-start only?

I think it is the charger as well, I can ask tonight.

I think that the crankshaft would need to be replaced to remove the electric start. It seemed like it was one solid piece from pull start thru to transmission.

The silly thing was zipping up and down the road yesterday.

thanks for all your help :)

i'm looking at sabrina-2 and pondering that extra bulk hanging off the side, but i'm also pondering the huge benefit of onboard charging...lights forever!!

Hi augi, that engine is a Mitsubishi TLE-43 replica, the chinese versions are used in midi moto's (slightly larger pocket bikes) petrol scooters and other chinese "toys". There are many parts you can get for them because of the different applications they have been put into.

Heres one on a go-ped
http://www.rocketimports.co.uk/rocket-petrol-scooter---43cc-79-p.asp

And one on a little mini chopper :D
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10786716/American_Hand_Made_Mini_Chopper.jpg

There are little expansion chambers for them and as the carbs are walbro copies you can get many upgrades for them as well as K&N filters etc. etc.

Hope thats of help to you

Fastboy

mucho help and verification, yes :)

i think i'll be trying one out, pull-start only...prices are reasonable if i can get a few miles outta it...i also got my eye on the X2 CVT, but that's for another time & topic :cool:

This is the previous generation Mitsubishi clone. It doesn't have the scavenging design though, so the emissions are substantially higher than the current design TLE-43.

I've been told that the starters can also be used as generators - you would probably need to come up with some form of voltage regulation. And, if you want to use the electric start, you'd need a battery, starter button, and starter solenoid.

The starter isn't hard to take off. Remover the pull start, the starter pawl, unscrew the bolt that held the pull start pawl, the 4 mounting screws, and and the starter will come off. The engine shaft is tapered (ref the crank image and the end view of the starter), with a key, so you may want to rig up a puller instead of pulling on the housing, as the armature may damage the brushes if you don't. (the armature shaft is tapered/keyed to slip over the motor shaft. If you're careful, you should be able to lift the starter housing just enough to slip a screwdriver in and under the armature shaft, then twist the screwdriver to 'lever' the shaft loose from the motor. And/Or, slip the heaviest screwdriver that will fit inside the armature shaft, and twist if from side to side a bit, to help break it loose from the tapered end of the crank. Once the armature is loose from the crank, the whole starter will just lift off. THEN, it'll just lift off. Of course, you'll need a short version of the starter pawl bolt to mount the pawl back in place...

The starter weighs a couple of pounds, BTW.

Attachments

• Pull_starter.jpg
    Pull_starter.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 735
  • Starter_Pawl_Kit.jpg
    Starter_Pawl_Kit.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 647
  • StarterScrew.Jpg
    StarterScrew.Jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 688
  • crankshaft.jpg
    crankshaft.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 720
  • Electric_starter.jpg
    Electric_starter.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • starterSet.jpg
    starterSet.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
i have a used one (w/starter) on the way...i will have a look and if everything matches this GREAT info, i'll give it a shot...thank you :)

There are two types of the starter. You'll know pretty quick which one it is. When you remove the rope starter, if the starter pawl isn't like the one above, then it's the second type. Similar, but different - a little smaller diameter, and the brushes stick out a little more. The starter pawl bolt is different dimensions...

i've also been told that a different (shorter) crank is needed when you remove the e-start...what can you tell me about that, if anything? thanks again.

Back