No Spark Tried Everything

anxiety

Local time
1:55 AM
brand new 80ccc motor i bought off amazon

tested the wires and made sure power was going to them everything is fine there
gas going to to motor just fine
no spark on the spark plug

i did get a fairly cheap kit (150 bucks on amazon)
I havent tried a new spark plug yet should i try that first??

Ouch 150 isn't cheap for a generic. :eek:

I would/did uprade the plug and the plug boot too, and the plug wire. :)
And you will surely need a spare CDI and magneto at some stage in the future so you might as well get those early and use them for the process of elimination.
Even if none of them is the cause of this problem it's worth having those things anyway. :)

agree, for an ebay or amazon kit, that's not cheap

there are many threads here to check for info about a no spark condition - usually it is just a wiring problem, but can be bad kill switch, so unhook that - check for about 350ohms between blue & black coming from motor - I you do that and see no spark, hold plug in hand and hand agaist a ground on motor (muffler is good) and see if you feel spark when you roll bike forward

Do you know how to check your coil? It should have just a few ohms across the primary, and a couple of hundred ohms across the secondaries. I don't know exactly how many for this particular coil, but if you have something close to that fits that description is should work. The primary is going to be between the two wires, and the secondary should be between one of the wires, and the spark plug wire, or the spark plug wire and ground.
Someone should post a video, or instructions on how to test the coils on these, I would do it myself, but I just soldered all of my connections together. Should check the resistance across the stator windings, too.

Last edited:
You can get a decent multimeter for $15. Well worth the investment as you can check everything quickly and figure out why you aren't getting spark. With a multimeter you can:

1) Check the magneto for ohms. 310 to 380 Ohms is where you should be.

2) Check the CDI for Ohms. 7 or more is good. Better yet, go to Autozone and get a $8 spark tester. Hook the tester up and walk the bike with the plug removed and you'll see exactly how many kiloVolts you are making. 30 kV and up and you should have spark.

3) Check the plug wire, plug wire cap, and spark plug for resistance. There should none or practically none: you want 0 Ohms, showing a closed circuit but no resistance.

4) Check the spark plug for proper gap and make sure the spark plug terminal is seated nicely into the spark plug gap.

5) You can even check the kill switch with the multimeter: pressing the kill switch should show 0 Ohms.

You may THINK everything is good but just the tiniest thing to put that little motor in a no run configuration. Take nothing for granted.

Back