Phatmoto AT Engine Options

Go with the briggs 206 or a 206/212 clone. Theres also the tillotson hemi as well.

Go with the briggs 206 or a 206/212 clone. Theres also the tillotson hemi as well.

Thanks but I am trying to find something that is lighter and smaller than the Tillotson 212 or similar sized engines.

I believe the Briggs 206 may be small enough...plan to call B&S today :).

All your 206/212cc briggs, tillotson, honda, predator engines are all the same platform/size wise. Some have the fuel tank on the engine is why they look bigger. Just food for thought.

Found a few interesting facts on your frame.

You can get a complete bike that is fairly economical to buy right out of the box. All designed to work together.

Interesting fact: Warranty applies to original purchaser for 90 days. So, if you buy a frame from a seller other than Phatmoto then there is no warranty.

Looks like that frame is begging for a 3 or 3.5 hp flat head B&S motor.

You can get a complete bike that is fairly economical to buy right out of the box. All designed to work together.

Interesting fact: Warranty applies to original purchaser for 90 days. So, if you buy a frame from a seller other than Phatmoto then there is no warranty.

I've got the same bike as op. They're ok, but like most gasbike.net products, it could need real fixing when received. Warranty issues often do not get attention, at least few do. Mine didn't. At all. But fix any issues, and it's a darn fine m/b.

Be prepared, it weighs 100lbs when ready to go. So the 3hp it has isn't more than barely adequate. Some have used 79cc and 212cc predator engines with adapter plates and other mods. I'm not familiar with the B&S, so my only comment is to make sure it will mount and allow correct primary chain alignment/tension. Moving the engine on the mount is the only way to do that. The 160/190 engines fit with one mtg hole on the engine being modified, iirc. If you can't tell, I'm a fan of that swap and plan on doing it after I upgrade jack-shaft and wheel bearings on the bike. With no engine mods and a smaller rear sproket, approx 50mph is apparently being achieved consistently, with greatly improved off-the-line performance.

Lots of potential in these bikes... 😎

I agree but the Briggs Raptor has been out of production for over 10 years so engines/parts are getting challenging to find.

I am looking into the Briggs Animal/LO206.

I agree but the Briggs Raptor has been out of production for over 10 years so engines/parts are getting challenging to find.

I am looking into the Briggs Animal/LO206.
Look for some guy selling a little rototiller, you might luck out and get an inexpensive engine. I've had some pretty good luck with those little flat heads, easy to work on and I've found lots of parts. I have a local guy here that sells parts and service for all those little machines.
The flat head is tough too.

Look for some guy selling a little rototiller, you might luck out and get an inexpensive engine. I've had some pretty good luck with those little flat heads, easy to work on and I've found lots of parts. I have a local guy here that sells parts and service for all those little machines.
The flat head is tough too.

I ran the 5hp version of the Briggs Raptor for several years when I was racing karts...I agree, they are tough/good engines.

I ran the 5hp version of the Briggs Raptor for several years when I was racing karts...I agree, they are tough/good engines.
I have a 3 horse on a little mini bike, PZ19 carb and a header, gov delete but it was a vane governor. It will pull a wheelie, quick little bike. That motor has a 3/4" crank shaft so it was easy to add a TAV which really helps.

Back