Plug color help

2stroke

Local time
4:22 PM
I have been pulling my spark plug after riding for the last few weeks, and have noticed that it went from brown and dry to black and slightly wet. I've also noticed that the little bit of oily stuff coming out from around the spark plug is now coming out in greater amounts.

My guess was that I'm too rich in oil ratio and that I might need to switch to a fresh plug to create a better seal. But I figured I'd come here to consult the experts 😁

Anybody have any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210204_165110.jpg
    20210204_165110.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210204_164741.jpg
    20210204_164741.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210204_165104.jpg
    20210204_165104.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 136
Have you also noticed a loss of power?
Why dose it look like your the S/P hole threads in the head are stripped?
That would explain the oil coming out from around the S/P. No oil should seep out from around the S/P.
Either your S/P was loose. Or there could be a defect (void or crack)) in the head S/P hole or the S/P threads are stripped.

When tightening a S/P, after ya get it hand tight ya should only have to turn it about 1/16 to a 1/8 of a turn with a wrench.
Do you think you overtightened the S/P and stripped the threads because you kept checking it?

Last edited:
Have you also noticed a loss of power?
Why dose it look like your the S/P hole threads in the head are stripped?
That would explain the oil coming out from around the S/P. No oil should seep out from around the S/P.
Either your S/P was loose. Or there could be a defect (void or crack)) in the head S/P hole or the S/P threads are stripped.
No real loss in power, quite the opposite actually. The spark plug threads on the head aren't stripped, the plug has gone in effortlessly from day one and I've never forced it. My spark plug is always well tightened before I ride.

Somethings wrong! There should be no oil seeping out from around the S/P. You say it's getting worse. That's a sign of stripping threads.
Check the S/P threads again closely and look for a crack or a void. If OK try a new S/P

You say well tightened? Should not be more than 1/8 of a turn

Somethings wrong! There should be no oil seeping out from around the S/P. You say it's getting worse. That's a sign of stripping threads.
Check the S/P threads again closely and look for a crack or a void. If OK try a new S/P

You say well tightened? Should not be more than 1/8 of a turn
I give it about an 1/8 of a turn. Tomorrow night I'll give the threads a good look over. Hopefully a new plug is all that's needed! Thanks for the input.

You don't need to check it so often, only if you suspect an issue and checking it so often has crushed the seal and now it doesn't seal at all, that's why the oil around the plug hole. Don't get that kind of plug. The gap isn't adjustable in those, just use an NGK B6HS, it is a slightly longer plug and will raise your compression a tiny bit.

You don't need to check it so often, only if you suspect an issue and checking it so often has crushed the seal and now it doesn't seal at all, that's why the oil around the plug hole. Don't get that kind of plug. The gap isn't adjustable in those, just use an NGK B6HS, it is a slightly longer plug and will raise your compression a tiny bit.
Sadly it leaked at least a little bit from the first time I put the plug in. I'll pick up a pack of the NGK plug. It's just a shame that I can't use the spare plugs I got for it. Thanks!

Sadly it leaked at least a little bit from the first time I put the plug in. I'll pick up a pack of the NGK plug. It's just a shame that I can't use the spare plugs I got for it. Thanks!
What spares do you have? If they're the same, then use them.

Like Wrench said, screw it in until hand tight and then 1/8 turn with plug socket will make it seal. Wipe the old oil off there first.

Back