Predator 212 Electric Start Conversion

Cannonball3

Local time
1:52 AM
Im converting my 212 powered golf cart to electric start. Since installing the FnR gearbox figured an electric start was in order
First as we know there are 2) 212 versions. I gathered from forums a while back the the hemi version will not take the Honda GX200
conversion due to flywheel /crank differences. I cant say to this as the three conversions I have done were all non hemi , as is this engine.

The new engine I bought has a few changes but the conversion isnt affected. In the past I have bought the Gx160/200 cooling fan to fit the 212 conversion flywheel. However with the removal of one alignment pin the stock 212 fan fits no issues. Just remove the pin circled. Will add pics as the conversion progresses.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1107.jpeg
    IMG_1107.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1108.jpeg
    IMG_1108.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 87
The starter is installed with provided locating hollow pins, these must be in place!. Next the charge coil is installed. The wire is routed thru the gap at the starter. Next two provided shroud pieces are installed at the starter mounting bolts. The upper one is very important as it shields the charge wire from the flywheel! Place a bolt in the lower hole on the lower shroud piece to align it to the shrouds mounting hole. Other wise the fan shrouds bolt may not fit and the mounting bolt needed to be loosened is now behind the flywheel.

Remove the ignition cdi so the ring gear will pass. Install flywheel, fan, and starter cup and nut, tighten flywheel nut.
Reinstall the cdi and set air gap.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpeg
    IMG_1112.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1115.jpeg
    IMG_1115.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 97
This conversion came with a nice Honda red shroud with the starter drive cover. Also came with a plug n play ignition panel that mounts to the shrouds mounting points. I wont be using it, just the switch. This is an easy conversion done in about 45min. Cost $65 shipped.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 113
The hemi version will take a kohler 4 magnet flywheel, I forget the part number but I put a kohler stator and flywheel on my hemi predator. I’m not converting to electric start, I just wanted the stator to run lights and a battery. The kolher flywheel will not work with the dual charging coils, a stator must be used. The dual coils are too large for the kohler flywheel. It might possibly work if you cut the ends of the laminations down, but I didnt want to go through that much trouble for something I wasn’t sure would work and might possibly reduce the conductivity of the coils.

Im converting my 212 powered golf cart to electric start. Since installing the FnR gearbox figured an electric start was in order
First as we know there are 2) 212 versions. I gathered from forums a while back the the hemi version will not take the Honda GX200
conversion due to flywheel /crank differences. I cant say to this as the three conversions I have done were all non hemi , as is this engine.

The new engine I bought has a few changes but the conversion isnt affected. In the past I have bought the Gx160/200 cooling fan to fit the 212 conversion flywheel. However with the removal of one alignment pin the stock 212 fan fits no issues. Just remove the pin circled. Will add pics as the conversion progresses.
I also had to remove one pin on the stock flywheel fan to fit the kohler flywheel.

Any chance someone is still following this post? Would appreciate knowing which kit was purchased. So many to choose from and not all are good

Back