Sprockets Problems with feeding chain onto front small sprocket. Help!

tmearce

Local time
1:38 PM
Hey guys ive been going on this build for awhile now and im stuck on the part where you have to feed the chain through the front sprocket housing to measure it out. when i start feeding it through i engage the clutch fully but the sprocket stops turning halfway through the process.
any ideas on what to do to get it through the housing. thanks!

Trevdawg:helmet:

you should be able to use a flat screwdriver on one of the sprocket teeth. put the screwdriver on a tooth, and push it, making it rotate forward..which will pull the chain through.
make sure that your clutch is fully disengaged and the sprocket should spin 360 degrees with some effort. the only other thing is that your chain is possibly hitting the inside of the housing as it gets 1/2 way around on the front side of the sprocket causing it to bind up.

yeah thanks budd. that screwdriver worked perfectly. i also put some wire attached to the end of the chain so i can keep it away from the side walls. now i am dealing with the chain being too close to the tire. the only thing i can think of to fix that would be a skinnier tire...any ideas??

Trevdawg

first off, lay the chain on top of your rear sprocket and look at it from the rear. the chain should be in a straight line from the rear sprocket to the front sprocket. if the chain is running at an angle close to the tire, you will have to flip your rear sprocket over. or it could be that you just have too wide of a rear tire.
i am running a 2" wide cheater slick on the rear of one of my bikes and there is plenty of clearance between the chain and the tire. i have my sprocket so tat the dish is in towards the rim so the teeth are further out.

yeah its really close to the tire so i feel like replacing the tire is the only way. i have a cruiser and the tires are huggeee and old so its better to be safe. any suggestions for good cruiser tires?

Back