Clutch Proper Friction Clutch Pad Maintenance/Tune up"

I know! On my older 66cc RAW motor it had circular friction pads, after a year of riding they look brand new. Then I stepped down to the 48cc RAW motor, and when I went to inspect the pads I was taken aback. The quality of these pads look subpar even when brand new.

What seems to be happening to them is they're just cooking down, slowly getting smaller. Then, the tops of them get so glazed over there's just no grip, and if I flip them over, it's still so short it doesn't grab that easily - no matter how far I adjust the plate.

I have some replacement pads I'm going to install once my wheel gets built, but I'll definitely have to soak my old ones in some oil and see what the results are - if that's all it takes to restore them, well sign me up!

I wonder as well, I should be able to soak my new ones first before I install them, maybe it'll get me some added life?

What do you think?

this is strange....wearing out clutches?

i had my first clutch issue lately...slipping...so i asssumed it was wearing out...

finally stripped it at work today.

:LOL: who said that oil cant get into the clutch? :LOL:

:rolleyes: about a good 20 ml of nice black oil, soaked everything....

funny!

cleaned up, washed out, like new again :D never an issue with it wearing out though... pads looked fine, discs fine, even gave it a good linish to take off the "polish". the rubbers more brittle than anything. looks like a sintered and metal impregnated type. not overly flexible.

one had broken flush with the carrier...meh.

oh...and im running a pipe and a 36 sprocket! i didnt want the 36, just the chain i got was a link too short... and it was all i had. i need the 44 back! even with 66 kg its bottom end is pathetic! with almost nothing extra up top! i actually had to push it up a hill the other day! now whats the point of an engine if im pushing it? sure, its a 6km hill, but still... never had it that bad with the 44...

if anything...you want to go bigger!

the MORE REDUCTION, the LESS STRAIN on the clutch...and the slower you go.

a 20 is silly, tiny, and you shall curse it every dam second cus it wont run til your doing a good 25+...

Hi,
The reason for the oil in your clutch cavity is more than likely a leaking crank seal, this will also affect the motors performance due to air entering the crankcase.

Cheers BJ

hmmm, I never have any problems with the clutches on both of my bikes, i never pedal, and i take off from a dead stop with the clutch like a motorcycle.
I've been doing this for 2 years on one bike, and one year on the other with no problems. I'm running 41 tooth rear sprockest on both bikes, with 20" wheels. I weigh 150 lbs, which puts less stress on the clutch than if i weighed 250 lbs.
i ride my bikes like motorcycles, not like bicycles. If i wanted to pedal, i'd take the engines off.

How do you take off from a stop, I've never been able to do that. I have to pedal to get it going on my 66cc Raw Motor. Am I doing something wrong?

It's easy to get going from a dead stop... but not easy on your clutch. You can work the clutch as though you have another couple "gears", but your clutch won't be happy about it.

Turns out there was a bad crank seal. Destroyed my pads. Each pad came out in about 2-3 pieces. Replaced em, cleaned it out thoroughly, and now it's good as new.

Back