Puncture-resistant tyres for friction drives

Schwalbe Marathon Plus
expensive but you will not get flats and they have no increase in rolling resistance.

Yep, that is a good tire . Keep an eye out & you can catch those on sale at times. Another is a Geax" tire. I beleive it is called a " Street Runner." Long lasting, tough, has a flat area in the middle.

I know most don't ride a 20 inch friction drive but if you do. Maxxis mirra or miracle. Dave mirras sig tires a great! Grip great I got 1000 miles on my back tire. Long range 30mph are norm for me. No pedal starting to. My tires show almost no wear. At my rate id say 3 to 5k miles before I replace my rear tire

I use nomore flats tire liners and they have been great along with thorn resistant tubes. FLATS SUCK when your miles from home. The liners are thin and pliable and give a lil more beef to the tire surface when contacted with the roller.

using rim tape, tire liners, green slime, Specialized tire....

:cry: but murphys law is murphys law,dont worry too much about it and hopefully the tire gods will smile on you for a while !!!!!

Great info on tires for F/D guys. I'm getting ready to do one and was wondering about wheels. Do you guys recommend a heavy duty rear wheel w/ 12 ga. spokes or is an alloy rim w/ SS 14 ga. adequate? Thanks!

While I am not friction drive, I just added a set of Shwalbe Big Apple tires on mine. They ride great, and look like they'd be awesome on friction drive.

To what sort of pressure should a tyre for friction drive be inflated?

How deep should the roller be depressed on to the tyre: lightly or firmly?

Last edited:
I keep my tires around 50 psi. And I've also learned a good rule of thumb, only press the drive roller far enough into the tire so under full throttle it won't slip.

Back