Pusher Trailer (new build)

colin,
I like using 26" MTB wheels as drive wheels. I use a pocketbike engine on two of my MB's both geared around 16:1 & can max out at 50+ mph. I dont think pocketbikes using their small diameter wheels achieve an optimum gear ratio & speeds are lower. My MB, when kept in the 30-40 mph range gets between 130-150 mpg's. The v-belt drive in my opinion is very clean, efficient & lightweight.
-Lowracer-

I am looking at buying a Rans Trizard for long distance cycling. It has 20" wheels. it also has an avantage of being able to link to another trizard or a pusher trailer such as yours. If I geared the engine to 16: 1 via a v belt. Do I go through a internal three speed hub , a14 speed Rohloff, a nuvinci auto shift to get the best use of the power of the engine? Honda produce a GX35 rated at 1.3hp or the GX 31 rated at 1.5Hp which of these are best or do you have another alternative that is realiable, quiet and efficient.

I have a Subaru Robin E035 rated at 1.6hp on one of my bikes & a very nice reliable Japanese engine. 16:1 might be a bit tall for the smaller 4 strokes (go closer to 18:1). The pocket bike engine rated somewhere closer to 4 hp can pull that gear ratio all the way to redline under load. I dont think the 1.6 can.
Oh, I just finished my new pusher trailer & rode it around for a day or so before dismantling the whole thing. I am not liking the pusher trailer layout & wont be building another.
-Lowracer-

With 20 inch wheels, the 16:1 would have a max top end of apx 29 mph...

I would be afraid that the 3-speed internal hubs would not stay in one piece for very long... I don't think they would handle the sustained power (although the peak torque of the motor is much less than a person can apply, the average motor torque is substantially greater.)

The Nuvinci auto version takes quite a bit of electrical power; with a bike, you would probably be better off with the manual adjust - ref the staton site for more info.

Back