Recommendations needed: cool-weather gloves with ergo padding

Granted, I'm on a budget and can't afford super awesome battery heated gloves and such, but I'm in Idaho, and through the winters I've had great results with something really simple.

Just padded fingerless gloves with solid backs, and those 2$ stretch gloves underneath. It's been good for 20 mile rides with plenty of snow on the ground, so it should more than be enough for those chilly days in the Bay area. Really, since you have mesh backed fingerless gloves already, it'd be worth it to spend 2 bucks and try it a couple mornings.

As far as the touchscreen capability, I found a cool article on instructables.com, which I'll paraphrase.

Skills
You need to be able to sew a few stitches without killing yourself.
Supplies
You will need:
* A glove.
* A needle.
* 12" (30cm) of conductive thread.
HTML:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9384
#1 Thread your needle
You don't need a whole lot of thread, just a foot or so.

#2: Turn your glove inside out and sew a few stitches in the finger of your glove.
On the outside try to make the stitches pretty close so it only touches the screen in a smallish area (about 1/4" or 6mm in diameter.) This will help your finger touches be more accurate.
Tip: Don't make it too small! The iPhone, for example, will ignore small touch areas. If it doesn't seem to work very well, try increasing the size of the stitches on the outside.
On the inside of the finger, it's actually good for it to be messy. (Explained in #3)
3-5 stitches should be enough.

#3: Leave some extra inside the glove.
You want to make sure the thread touches your finger or your hand on the inside, so leave some extra. Leave dangling thread on your knots, etc. You might even tack a bit to the lining of the glove.

That's it!

Last edited:
Back