Regardless of legality? Do high performance builds really need the pedals?

cloakedvillain

Local time
2:23 AM
Build break fix/ evil care bear is the first that comes to mind. He's got like 26 inch wide pedals so he can fit a 7 hp engine between them. On a china doll build you have to help up hills and such. But a 212 with a cvt? IDK, I can't fault it if it's for style. Once the dust has settled, the rule of cool always wins out.

Attachments

• Capture+_2024-01-30-14-09-50.png
    Capture+_2024-01-30-14-09-50.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 32
But a 212 with a cvt? IDK, I can't fault it if it's for style. Once the dust has settled, the rule of cool always wins out.
I don't care how fast or 'cool' it is, I think putting a 212 on a bike is absolutely idiotic and senseless. At that point it's not a bicycle anymore it's a death machine on wheels. Why even bother with pedals at that point? But to each their own I guess. I like pedals on a powered bike because they allow you to pedal home or to help when you run out of gas or something breaks.

IMO they don't need it. I've been going pedal less for a few months on my bt80 because the pedals hit the engine. All the crank and pedals do on that is a plasce to put my feet

I don't care how fast or 'cool' it is, I think putting a 212 on a bike is absolutely idiotic and senseless. At that point it's not a bicycle anymore it's a death machine on wheels. Why even bother with pedals at that point? But to each their own I guess. I like pedals on a powered bike because they allow you to pedal home or to help when you run out of gas or something breaks.
You pretty much summed up the gear-head ideology.

We don't need 7+HP, we don't need 11ft-lbs of torque, we don't need to go in excess of 60MPH, but we do it because we can, and it's pretty cool.

Pedals because it can keep you legal, and because a log splitter engine on a bike is usually unreliable, the option of pedaling beats walking it home.

This idiot is in the midst of building a 224 bike with 10Hp as a goal.

Build break fix/ evil care bear is the first that comes to mind. He's got like 26 inch wide pedals so he can fit a 7 hp engine between them. On a china doll build you have to help up hills and such. But a 212 with a cvt? IDK, I can't fault it if it's for style. Once the dust has settled, the rule of cool always wins out.
My latest cheap CG motor doesn't need any help at all on the hills once I got it dialed in. All I did was deck the cylinder, upgraded the wrist pin and made some spacers for it. Also really enlarged the intake were it meets the cylinder. What a difference from my first one that does need a little help on the steepest hills. I'm going to give it the same treatment.

Only thing I really need the peddles for are to get it rolling so I'm not so hard on the clutch.

I always peddle to lend the illusion that it is a motor assisted bike, never know when the police might be watching, technically the bikes are against the rules.

Back