Resolved-: Question: Can a return spring be added to the Carter Model N Carb ?

Risk Man

Local time
11:12 PM
The throttle cable on my J engine Carter Model N carb is so fluid now that I replaced it, vibration opens the throttle with little resistance from the twist grip / cable. So after starting if I let go of the throttle, it revs up way to high. I have looked at how I could add a spring, but have not figured an easy way to do it. Has anyone tried this ir is there a better solution for the twist grip control?

Twist grip with a solid steel cable

I guess ya can make and mount a bracket so you can use a spring

Maybe ya just got too much slack in the cable where it connects to the carb or twist grip
Gotta kind of bend the Z end ? so it there's no slop slack ? cable adjustment?

It would be nice if the Manufacture had designed a spring for that Carter N carb
It could of been a return spring like the spring that's designed for the NE-5 compression release lever

The throttle cable on my J engine Carter Model N carb is so fluid now that I replaced it, vibration opens the throttle with little resistance from the twist grip / cable. So after starting if I let go of the throttle, it revs up way to high. I have looked at how I could add a spring, but have not figured an easy way to do it. Has anyone tried this ir is there a better solution for the twist grip control?
I'm no Whizzer technician, but could I see a pic of the said carb installed on the bike. I dont see any problem with adding a return spring. Thanks.

I'm no Whizzer technician, but could I see a pic of the said carb installed on the bike. I dont see any problem with adding a return spring. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3902 (1).JPG
    IMG_3902 (1).JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 68
Thanks. I think I have a idea. Briggs & Stratton uses a dampener spring to prevent throttle creep. I'll get you a couple pics to give you a idea, what I'm talking about. Appreciate it. It would even look factory.

Twist grip with a solid steel cable

I guess ya can make and mount a bracket so you can use a spring

Maybe ya just got too much slack in the cable where it connects to the carb or twist grip
Gotta kind of bend the Z end ? so it there's no slop slack ? cable adjustment?

It would be nice if the Manufacture had designed a spring for that Carter N carb
It could of been a return spring like the spring that's designed for the NE-5 compression release lever
No slop or slack. The twist grip is so fluid, that the vibration to the handlebars and the grip causes "creep". I guess it might be something like venturi action on the throttle vane that is moving it with no resistance of the twist grip? i did stretch a makeshift spring and it works, but looks ugly and is very temporary. I had also put a slice of tube around the twist grip to give it some resistance, but again, looks wrong.

An expansion spring on the cable could be used, If it'll work right?
OR
I see that bracket on the intake just hook a spring to that
a small hole can be drilled in the carb lever

No slop or slack. The twist grip is so fluid, that the vibration to the handlebars and the grip causes "creep". I guess it might be something like venturi action on the throttle vane that is moving it with no resistance of the twist grip? i did stretch a makeshift spring and it works, but looks ugly and is very temporary. I had also put a slice of tube around the twist grip to give it some resistance, but again, looks wrong.
Yep the early briggs engines would do that from the harmonics/vibration it generated. Throttle would just start climbing.

Back