Rocket racing CDI

Headsmess you are impressively good at prolixity.

The crowded roller bearing seems to handle higher stress levels than the caged roller bearing, at the expense of higher safe rpm, which explains why Japanese and European bikes use a well designed caged big end in their 2-stroke engines.

With respect to the Chinese 2-stroke engine, the crowded bearing gives significantly greater bearing life, going from my experience; covering a heck of a lot of miles.

I am entirely consistent in saying that (for long term reliability) the Chinese centre mount 2-stroke engine lives a happy life under 4,800 rpm. Once you go over that figure, even with short bursts it compromises connecting rod bearing life, and if you beat on the engine with excessive rpm, the case hardening on the needle rollers fail; resulting in either seizure or simply ejecting the needle rollers out of the big end and tearing up the piston and cylinder.

This concept is anathema to those seeking maximum power; where they have no requirement for long term reliability, nor engage in long distance touring at relaxed rpm and relaxed speeds.

Why though would you waste your time beating on a Chinese engine when you could install a Morini engine into your bike and properly take advantage of the much improved engineering specification, if high rpm and high power is the desired outcome?

um...miles per hour? did you convert for the sake of our US friends? but that is still a strange 20.181 km/h so are you just making things up as you go?

I had to convert metric into imperial for those Americans who view the metric system as a modern form of hieroglyphics. Motorised bicycle law in Australia for an I.C.E. engine is interpreted by many in the police force to be max speed of 20 k/ph, because that is what it used to be; consequently that's the answer you will get from a police officer. That said, it's best not to push your luck and keep to a speed somewhere near 20 k/ph and an engine that operates as quietly as possible.

ok, ill thank jag for saying that a ht can and will do 8500, and ill thank you fabian for the compliment :) i do waffle on a bit... i dont...CANT stop thinking, theres always another snippet to add or point to clarify ;)

yes, i agree. a morini is a far better alternative. or a denardis (as morini is now no longer available) but a HT is more FUN :) i cant say cheap, ive spent far more on these things than the one purchase of a morini would have set me back :giggle:

it used to be 30 cc 30km/h max in my records, here in nsw at least. qld is 50cc, no power limit, 70km/h with rego before requiring a license. or was. obviously i dont care about interstate just yet. though i once made it to canberra :) shoulda strapped some of those fireworks on the back on the return trip :giggle: id rather go NT and meet my unknown adopted sister than south into what is a legal hellhole apparently...

anyway. now all thats over, onto the new direction this is taking...the arduino and delving into the digital realm. time to move to a new thread :) emulating the curve will be simple...the rest...im very curious about :)

i'd rather go NT and meet my unknown adopted sister than south into what is a legal hellhole apparently...

Spot on assessment of the situation in South East Australia.
A friend of mine has packed up (after having his own business; running it for over 10 years, then finally being beaten into the ground by the tax department), leaving Victoria to live in the Northern Territory.
He describes the difference up there as night and day; describing Victoria exactly as you have done: a legal hellhole, where a person can't do anything without breaking some nonsensical law or nonsensical government regulation.

In the NT (from his description) you can just about do anything you want, and what you are not allowed to do, no one worries about anyway, so you just do it and get on with the job of enjoying life.

concerning the issue of partial/full throttle and timing,
everyone gradually opens the throttle as revs gradually increase so I don't believe anyone that says they only ride full throttle. I mostly ride my Suzuki now and I notice that the timing should be more advanced at partial throttle when I am just putting along at low speed. I have to get on the gas for the retarded ignition to be in sync with the engine requirements. I made my own CDI for it since it uses the same type of system that the Grubee engines do (single stator coil powering a CDI). The curve is set for getting on the gas because I sometimes outrun cops. (Here the cops are the thieves.)

veryone gradually opens the throttle as revs gradually increase so I don't believe anyone that says they only ride full throttle.

I sometimes outrun cops.

As much as you don't believe me when i say that "i snap open the throttle to wide open (having a centrifugal clutch fitted to my engine), and do so in less than the blink of an eye and with every subsequent gear change, i don't believe you when you make mention that a Chinese 2-stroke bicycle engine is capable of outrunning the police.

I think that my statement is more believable and most definitely more provable.

I'll give partial throttle when first taking off from a stop if I'm feeling too lazy to pedal

I was just laughing at the condenser diode ignighter title

I got my engine in 2009 it has had so much ab-use so many ks, reliable as except when a truck nudged me off the road had to get new magneto coil and cdi cost me $100 with delivery(yep i know better and managed to make one out of o couple of old microwaves and scr from jaycar) and now a wee bit of modification OHHHH my god the fuel mod is all the mods really and they are so small compared to the intensity of Jaguars expertise.

I have had to do stuff to my bike all of it has been on the cheap except my one ahh bad decision, i thought it would not be too expensive to get some maintenance done at a local bicycle shop. I was really upset he wanted nz$200 for some bearings and a tire and apparently he had to mess with my throttle for ages i just wanted bearings in the front wheel. i had only spent nz$390(+$100 after accinect on the bike including the bike since i made it. I took his tyre off right there off the back wheel gave him $38 for labour $10 for bearings and a 500ml of my homemade rum told him to ahh well nevermind that he called the police and the guy laughed at him and told him to take me to a civil suit in court never heard from him again.

I have been pulled up heaps they just ask if i have a drivers licence and after seeing it let me go but things are changing here in New Zealand.

As for arduino thats where i am headed but i would like to couple it with a raspberry pi, this is also an interest for another project i wish to replace oem engine management in cars so far i have had access to a number of aftermarket injection and ignition systems most of what i have come up with is only tested on nissan sr 20de/ve/det engines and is not near hardware design.
A knock sensor is easy to sort but there is much variation in our little engines and many would have to be tested with a variety of diagnostic equipment to come up with the magic frequency. The ones in Nissan's are mostly resonant piezo-electric contact mics, with a resonant frequency of 7000khz it is wired to terminal coming out of the engine management and when the the peizo-electric assembly is excited by a 7000khz vibration where it is bolted it forces a voltage change that then forces engine management to stop the engine from blowing up you can wire an led of the right rating to a knock sensor and it will light when excited we have a bunch of spares for using when engine is in engine stand. we would love to achieve pulse width modulation control of the injectors and multiple injectors per cylynder mainly for methanol/ethanol via just having a second fuel rail.
Using an old blow through turbo Toyota starlet we got good results using rejetting and a t joiner in the actuator line, boost spikes of 18psi on an old engine no pre-ignition due to compression wouldnt even quite run half way up the temp guage so we pulled the actuator line off and were past the end of our (guage 22psi) unknown amount of boost boost and still happy, car would no even start with petrol till original jet was back in ($300 car still does really good burnouts saving methanol/ethanol for next run).

Back