Jackshaft SA based jackshaft shift kit

So how do you start your bike?
I did start my trike with a pull start - that is, until it got backed over while parked and smashed.

The new rig I am building will also be pull start, at least at first. If I go ahead with my contemplated "shift on the fly" system for the GEBE drive, I will likely inccorporate an electric starter, since I plan on using two 55 watt headlights along with taillights and turn signals. Battery power for all of that will be a primary concern, especially if I can get healthy enough to do some of the touring I would like to do.

I have gotten the hang of shifting seamlessly.
I do get a skipping in 3rd gear at high engine loads and low rpm, but it doesn't seem to bother it.
Ist and second gear are fine. Remember to put some oil in the little cap (mine is plastic and seals very well).
Having gears is great, probably put a hundred miles on it so far.
I am a little disappointed that the milage only gained a little with gears- up to about 120 mpg.
I ride mostly bike speed (15- 20mph) with bursts up to 25 (on the governor- set low) if needed.
I see no way to bump start this deal. The hub will freewheel.

Hey professor...glad to hear it is hanging in there for you. I have been riding the stretch with the Nu Vinci mostly lately, so I barely put 100 miles on my SA rig, but it still works fine too. Curious as to what oil you use. I added some ATF to clean it out and then used 30 wt motor oil. Wondering if something else would work better. I also notice that if overfilled it tends to *mark its territory*. Yours too?

Denny- yep, it will leave some oil- nothing like the old Harleys though. I use some old synthetic hyd. that was in my squirt can.
Well, there are no seals in the hub, so too much will seep out the bearings. Probably a good thing to over-fill occasionally.
This hub sat for years, wouldn't shift at all, I oiled it and rode around the pedal bike it was on until it worked. I doubt the type of oil is critical.

Kind of what I was thinking. Oh, a little tip for mounting sprockets.....I used an 18 tooth sprocket and a 44 tooth kit sprocket for a drive. If you use 3 5/16 bolts to bolt them together with washers for spacers (leaving room for the circlip), it will self center every time. snug up the bolts and turn the sprockets until they push against the teeth of the 18 tooth sprocket and tighten down. Did that on 3 of them, and they run very true.

Back