Safe, Easy, Practical, Friction Budget Bike Advice for N00bs...

Alrighty then...

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

(I don't have a LOCAL bike shop, I'll have to make a little trip):

Go to bike shop and look for used, comfortable bike w/ suspension that meets
all criteria for comfort, friction compatibility, braking, etc.

IF I cannot find this, I'll ask them to build me a good solid cruiser for no more
than $300. It must meet the following criteria... (okay, I need help with this part! lol)...

1. 14g stainless steel 36 spokes on both wheels.
2. Slick, puncture-proof tires.
3. Good brakes on front and rear.
4. 7-speeds.
5. Steel frame or aluminum frame? I'm still lost on this one. Which is
optimal for motorizing? Any thoughts on this?
6. Probably won't be able to afford suspension... unless this would be
reasonable for $300? I have no idea..

If I can't get suspension, I'll just have to keep my speed down to safe/comfortable level.

Just curious, what would the effects of a steel frame vs an aluminum frame be on vibrations/bounciness/safety? What say ye? (I hope you guys didn't already answer that and I overlooked it...) If you had a choice between steel or aluminum frame, which would you pick? And why?

Also, should the issue with me not getting suspension affect my choice of motor and friction kit combination? Should I still get the Titan 49cc with 1.25 one-way roller from BMP, and just keep my speed down? Or should I alter this decision to something else, such as a smaller sized motor? Such as a robin 35cc? Either way is fine with me.... what do you guys think?

Thanks again! :helmet:

P.S. Hey Mountainman, I agree with you on my dad's bike, but another part of me wants to leave that bike alone. lol Kind of a keepsake or something.. I dunno. Lots of memories on that bike when I was younger. I just wanna start fresh. :D

Have You Checked Craigslist.org For Bikes. If You Watch, There Are Some Great Buys. You mite like a dual suspension bike and put some fat cruiser tires on it with slime tube and liner in rear. And cruiser handle bar. You should be able to do this for $150. Ron

Last edited:
I agree with TREE. Go www.craigslist.org

Steel or aluminum frame shouldn't matter much at speeds you want. More important is the quality of the bike and its components.

If you could buy a new Hyundai car or a nearly new or slightly used Mercedes for the same price, which would you choose?:whistle:

True, re craigslist.

Also, check out the Trek Navigator 2.0 reviews. I really like mine; and it can be had in the right price range. It comes with front suspension, and a suspension seatpost.

According to the 'cons' in some of the reviews, it's on the heavy side, and compared to a road bike, that's true. But, when you add a motor to the equation, this almost becomes a plus. More mass tends to dampen motor and road vibration...

Last edited:
thanks guys for all your advice! That Trek Nav 2.0 looks niiiiice. I'll just have to see how my money situation goes here in the next few weeks.

Thanks everybody for all your help!

Back