Should we change forum software?

Should we change forum software?

• No - phpBB is just fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
change software?

NOOOO! :eek: . what we're using now may not have all the fancy glam the other format does, but to me, thats ok. this is super easy-to-navigate. clean and clear. i looked at the others, and found them to be muddled w/too much different stuff :eek: going on. I am Oog, computer caveman. Oog vote no switch.

Tom I guess my post is a bit outdated as you are about to do the upgrade but I would move to vbulletin for the simple fact that it has a MySQL back-end database.

I have programmed a database application using a SQL database and it is very efficient and flexible.

I currently setup networks for the medical industry and the networks are there to run a patient management system that has a SQL back end.

It is very very good considering how many sites, users and patients it handles.

I'd say $180 price they are asking will pretty much go directly to Microsoft for their licensing fee to use SQL.

Sure their will be some initial issues and changes but for the long term good of MBc this back end database will handle anything we chuck at it.

Good move Tom :D

Last edited by a moderator:
We are doing the switch for sure. I get way too many emails every day with people telling me about problems logging in, signing up and making posts. I already bought a life-time license for V-B and we are currently testing it and trying to figure it out.

I will announce a date when the forum will be down (hopefully no more than an hour; 10 minutes should be ample). Should be a few weeks out.

Nooo

Well, I guess I'm a little too late and a little too Johnny-come-lately.

I have for quite some time, for purely philisophical reasons, chosen GPL software. The site works, for me, as is. I don't know how going to some other proprietary software.

phpBB does have a mySQL backend (should be PostgreSQL, but that's another arguement...)

motoredbikes is about tinkering and customizing, IMHO, and that is what GPL'd software is about.

I'll still hit the site, but it will be a hit in the stomach everytime I do.

And for the past poster asking about Ubuntu, unless you have an issue with laptops or some obscure driver, just use Debian. I've been using Linux for over 10 years. I don't think I'm right, but it is just my experience.

Re: Nooo

grakker said:
I've been using Linux for over 10 years.

Hi grakker I though this by the time I read your second line. :D

I have a very very good friend who is the same.

He likes Linux and AMD, I like Microsoft and Intel.

We often have debates about each others likes and that makes it fun.

We could end up good friends!!!!!!!

As for tinkering with software.... I think the crew here would rather tinker motored bikes.

Welcome to MBc.

MB.com is just starting to cruise along, and is gaining an EXCELLENT peer - to - peer system.

If the software change helps the admin parts I know nothing about, then the change of the looks will get accustomed to by us dinosaurs.

Hope you techno's won't mind helping us along when Tom throws the switch.

lol, the main reason that I want to do the switch is because there are so many bugs in this software. It has been modified by me, not knowing what I am doing, and I just want to get the whole board to something stable before any more problems come up.

I am willing to make the investment in the software (I already did) because I know it is much more stable and I have been recommended to use it by most other webmasters.

There are a bunch of other features that I can integrate more cleanly and the majority should love the new system.

Back